Desktops forum

General discussion

EVGA GeForce 8800 GT on Dell Inspiron 530 Power supply help

Alright, so I have a newly bought Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows Vista home, and it has a 300 watt power supply apparently. Now, I want a better graphics card in it since the integrated Intel one that came with it is worthless. I want a EVGA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card, but it requires a larger power supply. Is there a solution for this?

If not, is there a graphics card that will run new games and possibly future games that will work on my PC with the power supply that's on it?

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EVGA GeForce 8800 GT on Dell Inspiron 530 Power supply help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EVGA GeForce 8800 GT on Dell Inspiron 530 Power supply help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Isn't that a quad core?

In reply to: EVGA GeForce 8800 GT on Dell Inspiron 530 Power supply help

Collapse -
Nope

In reply to: Isn't that a quad core?

Its just a Intel Core 2 Duo processor @ 2.2 GHz

Collapse -
Isn't that a standard size ATX supply?

Collapse -
Nice.

In reply to: Isn't that a standard size ATX supply?

Wow, I was talking to some idiot on Dell tech support and said the power supply can't be replaced? I guess that it can. So what, all I need to do is replace the one that's in there with the one in the link?

Collapse -
And Cnet has a video on such a change. Link only.

In reply to: Nice.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: And Cnet has a video on such a change. Link only.

I really thought I was stuck there. That guy on the chat must have been a complete idiot I guess. It seems that a power supply should be an easy thing to do, and apparently is. Odd that I couldn't come across that video before.

Replacing the power supply on my particular computer should be possible though, right?

Collapse -
Having done too many.

In reply to: Thanks

In fact I changed a few in the last 24 hours. It's not that bad a video to watch and you do get the heads up on what to look for as to plugs, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
Awesome possum

In reply to: Having done too many.

That's really good news. I was kinda dissapointed when I discovered the horrid video cad inside my machine, and even more so when I found out about the power supply nonsense.

Thanks a lot for your help. Now I just have to order the supply and card and... wait a while.

Collapse -
Ended up with...

In reply to: Having done too many.

Collapse -
Agreed

Agreed.

OCZ makes a wonderful PSU. 700 Watt should be more than sufficient. You'd want to have more than enough power to operate PCU/GPU etc than run on inefficient power... better to exceed than make too close a call, besides, a bigger PSU will allow for more GPU upgrades down the road that may need beefer power. I think you could have gotten away with 450-600 Watt PSU depending on rating and model for the 8800GT as it isn't the beefer GTX GPU of the 8800 series card, but like I said, better safe than sorry. Whether it fits in your case is another question. Doesn't mean you can't do some tweaking. When I mod'd out a Gateway for graphic card update I had to drill new mount holes for the PSU to fasten to the case. If you have a standard PSU in system now likely you will not have problems. If you have one of the manufactures ******** non-standard form PSUs you may have to mod your case. Recommended that you do that delicately if drilling as not to get any metal slivers on board. Careful and precise, measure, drill, cover where necessary.

Dell reps, manufacturer reps, their typically idiots. They are at best people to consult with to verify a few things, but I had to correct my Gateway rep when I was checking compatibility for my upgrade/mod. Besides, they want you to send it back to them for the parts and upgrade or to just buy another new one anyway, so they are less likely to critically think about your situation.

8800GT is a reputable card. Let us know how all goes. Good luck.

After you do this, and you're ready for a new PC, consider researching and spec to build out yourself. It would be your next step towards having complete control over your PC and it can save you money, teach you a lot, and is in fact a lot of fun. If you'd find yourself to be nervous, barebone kits do the basic work for you in matching components. In reality, it will always be better to build your own system when it comes to Desktops.

Best of Luck

GeekInside

Collapse -
Will do

In reply to: Agreed

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm still waiting card and supply. I'll definitly consider building a PC in the future.

Collapse -
If nothing fits and you can't Mod Case

In reply to: Will do

If the PSU does not fit and you can't alter mod your current case, you could consider getting new case and transferring your components over. It is not as delicate as building PC from scratch but coming close. Do take picture if you have digital camera for reference on current component wiring and setup to make it easier when reinstalling into a new case. Work on clean surface, de-staticize yourself... work carefully, use proper tools.

New case would be significantly beneficial to you as you could get better heat distribution via additional case fans. When doing upgrades such as this you want to consider heat distribution to protect your PC. Just another thought. A new case could jazz things up for you too. It's not always necessary, but just a consideration.

Have fun.

GeekInside

Collapse -
Thanks again

In reply to: If nothing fits and you can't Mod Case

Whenever I am able to get the money for that kind of thing, I'll get on it. As of right now I really don't have any (still in high school and not a lot of jobs around, wish there was sometihng on the net I could do)

I've heard the Inspiron 530 is fairly customizable, so hopefully it works. Building a desktop definitly sounds fun

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.