Desktops forum

Question

Everything on my computer display is HUGE! Help!!!

by tetris18 / September 22, 2011 9:42 AM PDT

After restarting my computer after updates, everything is huge. The desktop icons are larger than normal and internet pages do not fit the screen. I have checked the zoom level (which I have to keep on 80% now to see the page I'm on), I have checked the resolution which is 800 x 600 and I have checked the dpi which is 96. I have a dell computer with Windows XP service pack 3. Also the taskbar at the bottom of my desktop looks wider than normal and the icons on there are big. Help!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Everything on my computer display is HUGE! Help!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Everything on my computer display is HUGE! Help!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This sounds like you accepted a driver from Windows Update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2011 10:04 AM PDT

System Restore to before this.

And, don't accept drivers from Microsoft.
Bob

Collapse -
Everything on my computer display is HUGE! Help!!!
by tetris18 / September 22, 2011 12:45 PM PDT

Thanks for replying to my question. I have had this problem since the 25th of August. I went to the system restore and tried several different dates and it doesn't work. I tried the day before the 25th and even a couple of dates earlier in the month and after the computer shuts down and powers back up, it says that no changes were made. Am I doing something wrong?

Collapse -
Very strange.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2011 1:28 PM PDT

At this point we have to take the approach as if it's a new install of XP and install the stock video drivers and hope that cures it.

I am not duplicating or writing about how to change screen resolution since that would be Windows 101. XP users are well past that stage.
Bob

Collapse -
Just answer the question
by dianneschuch / September 9, 2016 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Very strange.

All people come to sites like this for answers, not just IT pros You are basically saying you are better than everyone else because of the information you have garnered in your life. And that giving up even that basic help is beneath you and everyone who is not on the same page as you, deserve to be treated like idiots. This doesnt require anything complex as drivers etc.

Collapse -
If I duplicated the web
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2016 8:50 AM PDT

I would be doing that rather than tackling the harder questions. If you need basic help, post that in the Computer Newbies and ask for it. Write that you will not google it or do any work on your own.

Collapse -
Bob
by peacefulady / December 16, 2017 12:16 PM PST

You r an ***

Collapse -
Member for 11 years?
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 16, 2017 12:31 PM PST
In reply to: Bob

Post was last edited on December 16, 2017 12:32 PM PST

Collapse -
No problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2018 8:39 PM PST
In reply to: Bob

There are folk that throw spears. Others help. Try to help the others. Windows basics are on the web. Help people be more self sufficient. Don't coddle.

Collapse -
Insecurity is us???
by James Denison / December 16, 2017 12:42 PM PST

Bob is trying to get you to reinstall the manufacturer supplied drivers for your motherboard that work under XP, especially if you have acceped "driver updates" from Microsoft. When that happens, it often replaces the drivers you had already and this results. The reason the recovery doesn't work is because the new driver files from Microsoft use the same names as the original you were using. The ONLY cure is to reinstall the proper driver files from your manufacturer, or the ones for the graphics chip used on your motherboard.

Collapse -
Answer
As Bob says...
by Zouch / September 30, 2011 8:49 PM PDT

...at this point, the safest thing is probably to download a current driver from the video card/screen manufacturer and install that - should fix the problem.

You might want to try going into Device Manger properties for the graphics card and trying the rollback to previous drivers option.

Collapse -
Answer
use mouse
by oceaneagle / October 1, 2011 12:25 AM PDT

Put your Mouse on the Screen then use the Mouse Roller to adjust the size. Alternative hold the Mouse Pointer over the Screen and use your Plus or Minus key.
The Desktop can be altered by using the usual method in Windows. The above applies to ANY Browser.

Collapse -
Answer
I think it's the resolution
by volvogirl / October 3, 2011 3:34 PM PDT

800x600 makes things bigger. Try changing the resolution to something higher. The higher the resolution the smaller the items. Like mine is set at 1024x768.

Collapse -
No, not for me.
by Ialwayswasme / November 24, 2017 10:21 AM PST

I'm having the same problem and I keep on making the resolution up and it's still the same for me, so it's not the resolution.

Collapse -
Answer
Easy 3 steps No need for drivers etc.
by dianneschuch / September 9, 2016 3:21 AM PDT

Right click on your desktop
Pick View
Pick the size you desire

Collapse -
I had to reply.
by Susanasmart / April 16, 2018 4:27 PM PDT

I don't like to sign typo for anything, but I had to create an account just to reply to you. Best solution ever. Ppl please save u a headache and try this first. It worked like a charm. Thank you, thank you thank you. Happy dance!

Collapse -
Answer
check your accessibility settings
by James Denison / September 9, 2016 4:35 AM PDT

Those are the ones with magnification, high contrast, etc, and one I think is to make things bigger for people with vision problems.

Collapse -
Answer
Try This.
by vembutech / September 22, 2016 8:21 AM PDT

This just happened to me. Here's how I fixed it.

Go to Control Panel
Click "Apperance and Personalization"
Click "Adjust Screen Resolustion"
Adjust the resolustion until the screen looks like you want it to. Mine was at 800x600 and everyting was HUGE. I changed it to 1152x864 and everything looks normal.
Good luck!!!

Collapse -
Answer
Scren Resolution
by buzad / August 16, 2017 3:14 AM PDT

I had the same problem, and what I did was right click anywhere on the screen, then click on "Screen Resolution", then click on "Make the text and other items larger or smaller" and then click on "Smaller" which is the default option. This should solve the problem...

Collapse -
Answer
Well if you update your windows sometimes goes like that
by JonathanTho / December 9, 2017 12:49 AM PST

To fix it try press space bar and shift

Collapse -
Answer
smaller numbers are bigger
by jhbggogkjinjh / January 8, 2018 3:50 AM PST

turn your 800 x 600 res. to 1366 x 768 or the highest it
you can put it

Collapse -
Answer
CHANGE RESOLUTION
by OVAKAMA / May 8, 2018 11:37 PM PDT

the higher the resolution numbers, the smaller the desktop icons become.
set it to the highest numbers and your problem will be solved. eg. 1024*768 for windows 7 home premium.
simply click start> control> display>resolution

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?