Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Everything is breaking!

I'm having one of those days when it seems like everything is breaking.

I got back from my bike ride to discover that the lawn mower won't start. In the first place, it's hard to believe the lawn needed mowing in December, but never mind that. We tried to mow at Thanksgiving, but the mower wouldn't crank. It sounded like a dead battery so I went out and bought a new battery. No joy. I called the repairman who picked the mower up and returned it yesterday. Diagnosis: dead battery (the new one!). He charged it, the mower ran. He brought it back. Today the battery was dead again. We borrowed the neighbor's mower and mowed. Now the question is: Is the battery dead because of an electrical problem in the mower? Or did we just buy a defective battery?

My wife called me into the kitchen this afternoon because the sink wouldn't drain. I couldn't get it unplugged. In the process of trying I managed to make the garbage disposal (which is apparently the culprit) starting leaking from one of its seals. Maybe the plumber can get by Monday. In the meantime we're down one sink. At least it's a twin sink and the other side is still functioning. And the dishwasher is connected to the side that still works. Happy

Even the tire pump for the bike didn't work right this morning.

It's just been one of those days.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Everything is breaking!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Everything is breaking!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dying battery

In reply to: Everything is breaking!

One of two things, most likely. The charging circuit is not working or current is leaking while the mower is idle. Troubleshooting these properly requires some testing gear including a basic electrical multimeter and some understanding of how to use it. If you had an external battery charger you could rule out the current leak by seeing if the battery held a charge both connected and disconnected to the mower cables.
I also wonder if the sink plug has anything to do with having the convenience of a garbage disposal. Here's where you get to blame the whole thing on your spouse like I do (hope Glenda isn't listening). Happy Most folks don't understand that a garbage disposal is not meant to shovel massive amounts of food down it's gullet. It's mostly so you don't have to scrape your plates totally clean before washing them in a sink. The pipes do trap soap and grease which builds up and will then trap food when too much goes down at once. The worst episode we had many years ago was when my wife bought fresh corn on the cob at a farm market...husks, silks and all. I don't need to tell anyone what she did after shucking the corn but it required some dismantling of the plumbing to get things back to normal. Happy

Collapse -
I'll probably let the shop test the battery ...

In reply to: Dying battery

I do have a multimeter and some experience using it, but I am not much of a mechanic. I couldn't even find the spark plug(s?) on the mower engine when I looked. If I had to bet, it's discharging while the mower sits between uses.

You may be right about the problem with the disposal. The disposal is only about 14 years old so I'm sure that there hasn't been any junk buildup yet. Not possible. Last time I tried taking the disposal apart (due to a buildup of shredded carrots) I made quite a mess in the middle of preparing Christmas dinner. I'll let the plumber figure it out.

Collapse -
I know the feeling:(

In reply to: I'll probably let the shop test the battery ...

My semi-new vacuum died today and we had to get a new one. Smoke was coming out of the motor!

Collapse -
Sounds like a bared wire somewhere is causing a ground fault

In reply to: I'll probably let the shop test the battery ...

discharging your battery. That's my guess FWIW

Sympathies on the plumbing issue. I reverted to a pre-60's solution when a close off valve on our plumbing sprang a leak. The people who owned this house were Portuguese and involved in the building trade, but they had a tendency to do repairs on the cheap once they'd renovated. They wrapped the stem of the valve with teflon tape and caulking, and filled the top compression fitting on the tap with some horrible gunk, not the usual domed plastic washer, and I had to dig it all out with a screwdriver at the peril of the hand holding the fitting. Then I used string packing the way they used to and tightened the compression fitting into place moderately and went back to turn the water on. Instead of spraying out under pressure, it merely dripped, tightened the fitting a quarter turn and the drip decreased significantly, tightened it another quarter turn and it was almost gone, one more tightening and its been silent and dry ever since.

I'm quite chuffed. Now all I have to do is re-wire the connection that leads to the outside light on our porch, the inside light near the front door, and (for some strange reason) the hall light on the second floor, all on the same circuit which was cut when we took down part of the living room wall, and we're okay.

Rob

Collapse -
I've had different preferences

In reply to: Everything is breaking!

I like the oldy-but-goodie, man powered mowers. All they need are an occassional blade sharpening and maybe a little oil. I was wondering if somehow, your mower battery was draining, somehow. I'm not expert, but I just had a gut feeling it might be something weird like that.

I recently had a plugged sink, in a bathroom. Normally, I think in terms of chemicals as a fix, but this time a little light came on in my head with the idea of using a plunger. It worked just fine.

I hope this isn't a trend at your house. Happy Or, if it is, maybe you can get a lot of this nonsense over with, with a good long stretch without problems.

Collapse -
I think it's a trend ....

In reply to: I've had different preferences

I didn't mention the freezer or some of the other things. Even my remote access to my employer's data network is on the fritz right now. Right now I need some help from Fiona

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.