Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ever notice how many

by TONI H / August 23, 2004 7:43 AM PDT

times you actually PAY people/companies CASH to make you feel bad?

Doctors - Who lecture you about your diet/health/smoking, etc but never actually hear a word YOU say to THEM

ISP - it's never THEM, it's always your phone lines

The Phone Company - It's NOT their lines. They've tested them and all they guarantee is you can hear on it and it can send a 14.4 FAX.

Bill Collectors - They talk to you like you're garbage in order to collect a debt that they will get half of.

Government Agencies - You sit for hours on hold while you get bounced everywhere but in the direction of the ONE person who can actually help you.

The President - If it's not the one you wanted, you feel badly that you didn't vote, or you just say to yourself and everybody else that your one vote wouldn't have mattered anyhow.

The Church - Doesn't matter which one, they all tell you that you are going to hell and ream your pockets on your trip down.

The School - It's never their fault your kid is in the office or failed. It's yours.

The Mortgage Company - You mail it on time, but they don't process it in time and it's not their fault that you got charged more interest or a late fee. Set it up as a direct withdrawal from your checking account instead so it's there on the same day every month or run that risk is what they tell you.

The Bank - you make a nightdrop, they enter it the next day AFTER they have processed checks you've written against it rather than the other way around and charge you an overdraft fee for each check. Look at the time stamp on your statements....never fails.

The Department Stores - You get the LOOK from the sales lady when you try on an outfit that is one size too small deliberately because you plan to lose that extra ten pounds so you can fit into it for that special occasion. It's YOUR money, what the hell does SHE care?

The Beautician/Barber - You bring a picture of what you want, end up with exactly the opposite, and they expect a TIP besides.

Your Insurance Company - You build and repair computers for a living. You call in a claim because lightning hit your $3-4000 system and you get told to take it to a computer repair shop to verify your claim.

I'm tired of typing.....you get the idea.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ever notice how many
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ever notice how many
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now I'm depressed.
by Cindi Haynes / August 23, 2004 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Ever notice how many
Collapse -
OTOH ....
by Mosonnow / August 23, 2004 8:52 AM PDT

I heard a comment yesterday, made about a TV character, which was that he would find the silver lining even within the mushroom cloud.

Now there's someone's philisophy that I would like to have. It's certainly something to aim for...

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
TV Characters,,,,
by TONI H / August 23, 2004 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: OTOH ....

funniest show on the air is the George Lopez Show. I didn't think I would like it when it first aired, but it's quickly become my favorite. I hope the writers get awards....

TONI

Collapse -
Re: TV Characters,,,,
by Mosonnow / August 23, 2004 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: TV Characters,,,,

Oh, Pish posh and tish tosh - we don't get the George Lopez show here - to the best of my knowledge - or "yet" perhaps. I will look out for it arriving.

To be honest, we are a bit short of new progs from the US. Most of what we get are re-runs. To be even more honest, we are a bit short of new progs from the UK. Hmmmm. Good job I still get my "comic" mag through the letterbox on a weekly basis to keep me going.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Yep!
by Angeline Booher / August 24, 2004 12:53 AM PDT

HOSPITALS: You get a bill for outpatient services. It says that full payment is expected from your insurance, so the balance is zero.

No other bills come, so, as has been the case before, one assumes the bill was paid.

Then, 6 months later, here comes a bill for 60-odd dollars (what Medicare supplement would be paying). But you pay it immediately.

A few days later comes a threatening letter from a collection agency.

Now, we all know that somebody in the business office never filed that supplement.

If you complain you never got a bill in between, you can't prove it.

Yep- this is from personal experience. I'm getting the papers ready to send the insurance company to ask them if they ever got the claim. (I would have received an Explanations of Benefits if they had.)

That one really ruined my day!

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I think I got you beat ...
by Evie / August 24, 2004 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep!

... never got an ambulance bill for the hubby's ER visit in November 2001. Eventually got contacted by the ambulance company, went through the phone calls, etc and thought everything was taken care of. A year later get the collection calls. By now the claim is so old it takes about 10 transfers within the insurance company system to get the right person to speak to. They say they issued a check for an amount slightly higher for an ambulance ride -- but the date of service is off by a day. Am I sure he didn't take two rides they ask? Yeah, I'm likely to forget that! NOT! Still sorting this out. Two years and another collection company after the first "contact" :(.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: I think I got you beat ...nahhhh
by TONI H / August 24, 2004 2:30 AM PDT

Married second husband in 1984, he died in 1989...but he had a sears account jointly with his SECOND wife (the one before me) for years that he never bothered to notify Sears to drop her from the account. I didn't know since I never used his card or account.

He died, I moved here, and started getting collection letters from Sears' agency about paying the bill. I told them he died....they wanted me to use Derek's insurance money to pay the bill. I refused. Next collection agency in line sends me a notice about a year later. I call, explain he's dead and they say OK, no problem. About a year later I get another collection letter, only this time it's addressed to Judith McKay (not me, obviously, but this is the second wife's name).

I call, explain he's dead and I'm not Judith. That's when I found out it was a joint account, but because I was married to him LAST, they want me to pay the bill for HER. LOL I don't think so. I tell them go hunt her down and see if she's willing to pay a bill for an account that she hasn't used in over ten years. They hang up on me.

Three years later, another bill collection agency...same crap, same Judith, same idiots on the other end of the phone. I call SEARS this time so they can get this straightened out with their bill collectors since they are changing them at the drop of a hat in order to collect from any warm body they can intimidate. No dice...Sears says once it goes into collection it's out of their hands because they've already written off the account.

I try to explain that SOMEBODY at Sears is turning it over to various collection agencies since the first dozen weren't able to get any money, so there has to be something, somewhere that can be entered into a computer to stop ME from being harassed by them. I get hung up on at that point.........BUT it's been six or seven years now with no more letters threatening to take my first born (they can have her) if I don't send cash. My children are a poor bargaining chip where I'm concerned....I'll never pay blood or ransom money to get them back (maybe Derek)...now my dog might be a different story.

TONI

Collapse -
OK you win :-)
by Evie / August 24, 2004 4:32 AM PDT

Speaking of exes, the phone bill for this home was in my hubby's ex's name. She basically abandoned him and went to Canada leaving him with a horrendous phone bill and huge balances on joint credit cards. There wasn't much we could do about the CC's, they couldn't get her in Canada and letting them go was only ruining his credit. Initially my hubby didn't pay the phone, but then we found out they wouldn't let us get a phone in his name until SHE paid the bill and notified the company of the name change. So we had to pay that too, but still they wouldn't switch it over to his name. After trying to get the authorization through the divorce attys to no avail I just called up one time, pretended to be her and acted really annoyed that my ex was ruining my credit by not paying the bill ... that worked like a charm!

My grandfather died in 1970. Dad owns the house but the name on the electric bill is still the same. As a result he gets all sorts of offers to this day. My sister hasn't lived with my folks in almost 20 years and took her husband's last name at marriage. Just last week she got a jury duty notice in her maiden name at my parents' address. LOL.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: I think I got you beat ...
by Angeline Booher / August 24, 2004 4:09 AM PDT

That IS a nasty one!

There were 5 doctors in the office, and 3 of us who cooperated in filing claims.

I guarantee that it is not that hard to get 'em right!

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: I think I got you beat ...
by Evie / August 24, 2004 4:34 AM PDT

It is especially annoying since the Ambulance was out of one of the local (read: small) fire departments. It shouldn't take long to go through the records of payments for the entire month the insurer has listed as the payment date and/or all the calls for those two days to sort this out!

Evie Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.