Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ever get hives?

by EdH / January 23, 2006 2:13 AM PST

Last night I suddenly began to itch; extreme itching! I have broken out in hives!

Investigating on the internet, I found that hives are usually not caused by an allergic reaction (I have no allergies that I know of) and that the cause is usually undetermined. Changing what you eat, wear, etc. usually has no effect. The treatment is an anti-histamine, specifically Benedryl. We don't have any in the house because my daughter is allergic to it (!), so my wife is getting me some. I don't know if I'll take it. My usual approach with such things is to tough it out and not take chemicals if i can avoid them.

Never had anything like this happen to me before. Man, does it ITCH!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ever get hives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ever get hives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All the time!!!
by Glenda / January 23, 2006 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Ever get hives?

I use Benedryl for them! If the Dr prescribes he gives me Claritin. Take something there is no reason to be miserable! I used to when younger have them so bad that I would fill the tub and pour in baking soda and sleep in it!!! Not kidding either! I have had hives in my mouth in my eyes and the worst is on the feet and palms of the hands:( Hope you get relief soon!

Collapse -
by Glenda / January 23, 2006 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: All the time!!!

my attacks are usually brought on when upset or nerves:(

Collapse -
And I thought I had it bad!
by EdH / January 23, 2006 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: PS

Yeah, I was stressed out, so that may have something to do with it.

Collapse -
I think there is something called
by Steven Haninger / January 23, 2006 4:29 AM PST

PsychoNeuroEdema (sp) or some such which is nervous hives. I would get these when much younger and almost could predict the time. The areas affected would be both arms and both legs. The swelling and itching were intense and would be gone the next AM...to start over in the afternoon almost like clockwork. Not fun.

Collapse -
I had eczema so bad as a kid that I did the same, napped in
by Ziks511 / January 24, 2006 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: All the time!!!

a bathtub of water with lots and lots of baking soda. I was allergic to wool, especially damp wool. Guess what mittens were made of in 1950? Guess what their moisture content was after recess? I used to use a prescription only cream then called Derm. It must have been a coal tar derivative because it was olive brown in color and stained everything. Fortunately my parents had saved all those much washed cotton diapers from baby days and they tore them into strips and bandaged fingers as necessary each night. It was enormous fun (sarc. sarc.). I will spare you news of where it spread to during my puberty years.

Life is much better now. I get it only on the inside of my left elbow and am never without Betnovate cream.

By the way Glenda, I really liked the story about your ?grandchild saying "Hello? a spoon?" Thought it was quite wonderful and perfect for a 4 year old. When Robbie was that age we had friends who were both teachers with 3 kids. The dad's favorite phrase was "Stop acting like a (insert child's correct age here)!" It was a great way to bring everybody back to the fact that the 5 year old was acting like a perfectly normal 5 year old and that perhaps gentle direction was in order but not over-reaction. Indeed most of the time nothing was needed, just a reorientation of adult expectations. It had the happy consequence of making the child aware that there was something they were doing that was disturbing somebody, but not blaming them for it. Its amazing how kids can straighten out their own behavior. Thanks so much for the story.

Collapse -
Thank you, Rob
by Glenda / January 24, 2006 4:42 AM PST

Michael is our oldest Grand Daughters first child. Jasmine the 2nd child is 3 now and quite a talker. The baby is 8 months old and a sweetheart! Not old enough to talk yet:) April is moving in about 2 weeks so I get my house back and get to sleep all night! LOL

Collapse -
yes and dr gave me this
by Mark5019 / January 23, 2006 2:54 AM PST

my hives make me rip self to pieces

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / January 23, 2006 2:56 AM PST

But not for some time.

Unless you have high blood pressure problems, take the Benadryl. use an over-the counter preparation like Benadryl ointemnt or cortisone creams.

That happened once to my daughter when she wore a brand new nightgown before going to bed on a Christmas Eve. She was covered, miserable, so a trip to the emergency room was in order. A couplke of years later it happened again when she bought a new blouse. After that, her doctor told her to always carry Benadryl with her in hopes of stopping such reactions quickly.

Allergies can change over the years, and new ones develop.

Check to see if your clothes were washed in a new detergent, new fabric softener, etc. Cahnged bath soaps? it takes detective work!

My brother (a dermatologist/allergist) once spent weeks trying to find the trigger in a patient. Turned out it was a brand of paste wax.

I have heard that emotions can trigger hives but I do not know if this has been proven.

I've been away from nursing for a long time, and frankly don't recall if inhalants can or cannot be a causative agent.

Good luck! And when you discover what caused it, stay away from it. Happy

If it keeps happening otherwise, a visit to an allergist could be in order.

Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email

Collapse -
The stress idea makes sense to me.
by EdH / January 23, 2006 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Our original plan for the day was to travel an hour and a half to consult with my neurologist about starting a course of low level chemotherapy for multiple sclerosis. Add to that the snowstorm we were expecting (and got) and that might be the source of a lot of stress.

Funny, I thought I was handling it pretty well for a change, but maybe my body thought different. As it turns out the snowstorm was bad enough for us to cancel anyway. I have a history of having a hard time with stress, but never hives before.

Not sure if an antihistamine is the best thing for me. MS is sometimes treated with histamines (though not mine) so the opposite...?

Collapse -
Ed in that case go
by Glenda / January 23, 2006 3:30 AM PST

for the baking soda soak to relieve the itching and go see your Doctor! Stress has always given me hives and as far as I know I don't have allergies:(

Collapse -
Perhaps you could...
by Angeline Booher / January 23, 2006 4:05 AM PST

.... phone the office of your neurologist, and state your problem. That's what I would do.

That office, being specialized, would be your best place for good advice.

There are non-anti-histamine meds, one of which I use because of HBP.

Being miserable is certainly not the best mode in which to be for any body!

Oatmeal baths are soothing, but messy to clean up the tub. Happy

Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email

Collapse -
Tip on oatmeal bath
by Glenda / January 23, 2006 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps you could...

put the oats in the foot of a nylon stocking:) Same effects easy clean up:)

Collapse -
Used to give the kids oatmeal baths...
by EdH / January 23, 2006 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Tip on oatmeal bath

when they had the chickenpox, long ago. Now my turn?

Who'da thunk it?

Collapse -
I know:)
by Glenda / January 23, 2006 4:23 AM PST

I had the mumps at 28!!! LOL

Collapse -
Oatmeal in the bathtub
by Steven Haninger / January 23, 2006 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps you could...

Gonna' need lots of Drain....don't think that'll even work. Happy

Collapse -
Aveno makes one ...
by Evie / January 23, 2006 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Oatmeal in the bathtub

... that is pulverized. They use another term but I don't have any in the house right now to look. You can usually buy a generic equivalent like "Equate" at WalMart. These dissolve and cloud water, but no real mess. To really get the most out of them, I moisten some powder and rub directly on myself and then rinse it off to dilute in the tub, rather than just dump it in.

Mom always used a sock -- think cotton works best -- and filled it with oats. You can pulverize them in the blender. Soak that in a bowl of hot water and you get a nice, soothing goo w/o the mess!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Like I told Angeline
by Glenda / January 23, 2006 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: Aveno makes one ...

I alwas put oats in the foot of a nylon, tie it off and all the nice goo comes thru the material:)

Collapse -
I prefer old fashioned
by Steven Haninger / January 23, 2006 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Like I told Angeline

cooked type with brown sugar and raisins. You just ruined my breakfast. Happy

Collapse -
And I like my oatmeal
by Glenda / January 23, 2006 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: I prefer old fashioned

in the bath tub Devil

But really I like it with oatmeal raisin cookies instead of toast:)

Collapse -
Yeah, ruined mine too Steven..
by Rolway / January 23, 2006 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: I prefer old fashioned

Back to the Bran Flakes I guess. Sad

Collapse -
by Glenda / January 23, 2006 9:03 AM PST

That's two men now]:) And after Jim's comment a few minutes ago he will be joining George in the Bran Flakes:) It was something about my stature]:)

Collapse -
Yep, I was gobbling up the Quaker
by Steven Haninger / January 23, 2006 9:12 AM PST

''studying'' up for my cholesterol test in a couple weeks. I can almost hear the doc now saying ''tsk, tsk''. Happy

Collapse -
They make special oatmeal bath stuff...
by EdH / January 23, 2006 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Oatmeal in the bathtub

and as others have indicated, you can put it in a sock or something.

But when I used to give the kids an oatmeal bath it went right into the water and never caused a problem.

Collapse -
Yes - and I hope never again!!
by MarciaB / January 23, 2006 3:45 AM PST

Haven't had a bad case since about 1990, but prior to that I had several that were bad enough that trips to the ER for a shot of Benadryl in the buttinsky was needed. Sad

The last outbreak I had in 1990 was controlled by OTC Benadryl (liquid kind worked best with Dr. recommended dosage for getting the hives under control.)

What needs to be watched out for is having the nasty things get into your throat, as that can cause complications that will make the itching seem like nothing! (Having your airway cut off has a way of doing that.)

If an oral medication is not for you, then I can attest to the soothing qualities of the Epson Salts bath mentioned above, Oatmeal/Aveeno baths, and a good liberal spreading on of Calamine Lotion.

Hope it goes away quickly for you. My understanding is that all the medication in the world will only treat the symptoms and severity of the outbreaks, but it's gonna' run its course no matter what.

Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / January 23, 2006 4:04 AM PST

and they're miserable.

I think a lowered immune system and people with auto-immune type diseases get them more often. I don't have facts to back that, just my own experience, and that of talking with others in the same boat.

I take an OTC antihistimine pill when I start to itch.

Collapse -
Got the Benadryl
by EdH / January 23, 2006 7:25 AM PST

Seems to be helping. What an ordeal.

Collapse -
Good News:)
by Glenda / January 23, 2006 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Got the Benadryl

Now stay calm and just relax:)

Collapse -
Oatmeal bath?
by Evie / January 23, 2006 7:28 AM PST

Might help. Topical cortisone creams can also stop the itch. Or if you want to avoid even that, try Aveno's anti-itch lotion which has menthol and damned if it doesn't stop the bad itching I get from dry skin in the winter!

Hope you feel better.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
by EdH / January 23, 2006 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: Oatmeal bath?

I'm really hoping I can get some sleep. Was up all last night itching.

Collapse -
by Evie / January 23, 2006 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

And I mean that in a good way Wink

Glad to hear the Benedryl appears to be working.

Evie Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?