Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Event Viewer log

by eddie11013 / August 13, 2005 5:32 AM PDT

Was reading the suggestions on how to speed up computer and someone suggested a look at event viewer. I did this and found a warning message, under applications, that repeated itself. General info follows: Source: MsiInstaller, Event ID: 1001 and another one Event ID: 1004. Feature ''Mailbox''. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\installShield\UpdateService\' does not exist. Don't know what this is. Looked at msconfig, startup tab, didn't see anything regarding mailbox or install shield. When I looked at 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER, etc, saw Name: AB Default, Type: REG_SZ, Data: Value not set. Seems as thou it keeps looking for a resolution since all the while I'm on the computer it keeps trying to resolve. Must be over a hundred lines now, for just today.
Any ideas on how to resolve. Maybe, delete "Install Shield" folder???
Win XP, SP2. No other problems, computer working fine.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Eddie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Event Viewer log
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Event Viewer log
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to research this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2005 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Event Viewer log

I am not offering any cures for this since an event viewer may or may not mean there is something to be fixed. However if one wants to connect that with another symptom or issue then together you have more to work the symptom with.

Look at:

1. www.google.com on the eventid and number.
2. Read the replies at www.eventid.net. Yes the links only work for members but you can read what article number to research at http://support.microsoft.com and manually look it up.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
by eddie11013 / August 14, 2005 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: How to research this.

Thanks for your reply Bob. I had already searched google and eventid.net. Just seemed odd that 'exactly', every 35 minutes, that I am logged on, that I see these 'warnings' in event viewer. They just keep repeating. My log goes back to 8/6 so this is not something recent. Something must be trying to access something. The MsiInstaller seems to be tied to Windows Installer 3.1, but that's all I could determine. Since I don't know what this is for sure, maybe I'll just drop it. After all, the computer seems to be working fine. Just started out to speed this up a little, and I must say that some of the suggestions did seem to help. Maybe the next time I have to reformate everything it will be gone.
Thanks anyway, Bob
Eddie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!