Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Event Log is missing in Services list

by nenay8 / November 19, 2006 5:19 AM PST

I have been having an ongoing problem in being able to install programs (diskeeper and Symantec) after I have downloaded them. Their advice to me has been to double click the "Event Log" in my Services list and set it to automatic.
I have just realized that the title, "Event Log" does not exist in my list and I think that may be my problem. Recently, I upgraded my Windows XP Pro from a pirated version by paying for and installing the Genuine Windows XP Pro version. I had then installed SP2. I wonder if in all of this I have lost the Event Log heading and if anyone can tell me how I can get it back.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Event Log is missing in Services list
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Event Log is missing in Services list
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just to double check.......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 6:06 PM PST

How did you look for the Event Log service?

There are various ways to get to the Services console, and one is;

Right click your "My Computer" icon on the Desktop, select Manage. In the Computer Management console, expand the "Services and Applications" option on the left, then highlight services. Make sure the Extended tab on the right is selected.

The Event Log should then be listed. It should be set as Automatic. If it isn't, right click the entry and select Properties, and in the Properties window, change the Startup type; to Automatic.

If the entry isn't there, do a search on your computer for "C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe".

If that isn't there, then you will need to get it back. You can try "scannow /sfc" in the Start > Run command, (note the space between the w and the / ). This will scan all of XP's protected files and try and replace them if necessary. Make sure you have your XP CD handy.

If Scannow finds and fixes any problems, reboot the computer and see if the Event Log service has appeared. If not, then you are looking at a "Repair Install", to replace all the System files. Guidance here

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
scannow cannot be found nt Windows
by nenay8 / November 20, 2006 12:59 AM PST

Thank you Mark for your reply. I typed scannow /sfc in my command prompt as instructed, making sure there was a space but I receive a message saying, "Windows cannot find the file scannow." Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
It looks like a Repair install then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 4:43 AM PST

using the link I gave in my other post as a guide.

But I would backup all of your important files, like docs, photos, music etc beforehand, just in case.

Maark

Collapse -
Event log missing
by tomron / November 20, 2006 1:08 PM PST

I received the same message you did,try typing this instead,it worked for me.

Start>run>sfc /scannow

noticed the space after sfc

you can also use cmd prompt

Check this LINK

Check the registry for this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog

Tom

Collapse -
That helps, but still another problem...
by nenay8 / November 21, 2006 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Event log missing

Thank you Tom for the latest suggestion that you gave to me. That definitely worked but now I have encountered another problem that prevents me from completing that process. Let me give you a little history and explanation as to why...
Originally, I started out with Windows 98 but was given a pirated version of Windows XP Pro which I used for a while. I finally decided though that this was just not right and therefore paid for and received the "genuine" version of Windows XP Pro. The disk sent to me also includes Service Pack 2.
When following your latest instructions, a pop up message appeared telling me to insert the Windows XP Pro disc into my CD drive. When I do that however and insert the disc I received that is the "Genuine Advantage Kit", it does not appear to recognize this disc as the one required. Should I be insering my old pirated version? Thanks so much for your help.

Collapse -
Not sure,but I know....
by tomron / November 21, 2006 4:00 AM PST

that CNET does not support pirated material.

Tom

Collapse -
I agree with Tomron, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 4:57 AM PST

it couldn't possibly be right to insert the pirated copy anyway.

When you got the genuine XP CD what did you do, did you reformat and re-install from it, or did you perform a repair install with it?

The first completely wipes out the old installation and replaces it with the new, but the 2nd just replaces/repairs system files.

Also, did you validate your Operating System after you used the disk, and using the new serial number/key?

Mark

Collapse -
It gets worse...
by nenay8 / November 22, 2006 3:26 AM PST

Yjank you for the reply...
When I first purchased the upgrade to the "Genuine Advantage" I did so online and the download simply switched me over and my system is now recognized by Windows that it is the real McCoy. Later on I received their disc in the mail and did try to do a clean install of Windows XP. It downloads but when it is 50% installed, I get an error message, "Setup has determined that Drive C: is corrupted and cannot be repaired. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."
Of course I get the same message when I try to run a repair as was suggested to me above.
Spmewhere along the line it now appears like I have developed a muiti-boot system. When my computer first opens I am shown my normal place where I go to open my operating system and another, "Windows Set-up". Going to either one and trying a fresh install brings the same results though.
I did run a search for Eventlog and it was found in the System 32 files. However, when I clicked properties, it said that the system to open the file was "unknown". I am not sure what I should use to open the file. I thought if I could get it opened then perhaps I could get it back onto the Services list. Am I correct in this assumption?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.