The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

EVE-Online Boot.ini issue

by Wolven Spectre / December 10, 2007 9:13 AM PST

I sent this email in and I thought since the crew din't use it I would share it here (I edited it slightly.)

"BOL Crew;

I am a player of EVE-Online ( www.eve-online.com ) and have been for a few years so I'd like to clarify a few things you said:

1) It didn't just affect XP, all versions of windows that could run EVE, as it is known in both the player base and the MMO community, with the exception of Vista.

2) It only affected a small subset of players who installed the "Premium Content" additional package on top of the basic download, had windows on a partition or drive other than their primary one, and you were able to download the "premium content" package (while every one else was trying to do the same) before 4am GMT Dec 6. Then they also had to not see the giant "DO NOT REBOOT" warnings That the game put out well before that as soon as they realized there was a problem.

3) The simplest fix is if you have your Windows CD and get into the repair function you can rebuild your boot.ini. If you arelooking for the other offical solutions see http://www.eve-online.com/updates/bootinifix.asp

4) The problem was caused by a simple typo between a '/' and '\' that only applied in an uncommon circumstance that didn't show up in beta testing with the openly accessible test server that gave people a chance to see the new graphics engine early.

4) "Trinity" is not just a graphics patch or upgrade. CCP, the makers of EVE, do not charge for Expansions or updates like most MMOs. "Trinity" is on the scale of an upgrade like World of Warcraft's "Burning Crusade" or "Wrath of the Lich King" and is the start of a rollout of a new graphics engine.

5) CCP (Crowd Control Productions) is an Icelandic indie game developer. Bootstrapping developed some different connotations in languages other than English. I don't know its the case but as I understand it means in some languages also starting up a network session or starting a program with settings loaded from data files.

Allot of people just look at EVE and say "so you just fly around in ships and you don't have a character on the screen". Its much more than that, but I understand that as I said that the first time I saw it.

First of all every player plays on the same server simultaneously. EVE has the world record of the greatest number of simultaneous players on a single server/shard at 37,000+ players, and it usually has over 20,000 players. Also, since the servers run 23 hours a day (1 hour a day the server is brought down for maintenance and backup) and is done is several languages there are players from everywhere playing with everybody. In the game developer parlance EVE is a sandbox and not an amusement park, as it isn't on rails, play there is what you make it (like a sandbox). Players create most of the goods in the EVE Universe in a market driven economy. The game world is a whole galaxy, some of which is the frontier and is not only open to exploration but player owned alliances and corporations can take control of them as the actual governing authority.

The EVE Community has Radio stations, a magazine, comic strips, webpage hosting (paid for in ISK, the ingame currency, file hosting service, art books, fiction and fan fiction with an authorized novel upcoming, video and audio podcasts, sporting events, and sold out annual conventions called Fan Fest... in Iceland. Most of their players are from North America and Europe and they still attend.

Thanks;

WolvenSpectre"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EVE-Online Boot.ini issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EVE-Online Boot.ini issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sounds cool
by mementh / December 10, 2007 1:49 PM PST

it sounds cool but i have a question.. how would a newbie get in and not have to worry about being picked on

Collapse -
EVE-Online Info for new pilots.
by Wolven Spectre / December 10, 2007 4:15 PM PST
In reply to: sounds cool

The game world is a galaxy and each solar system has a security rating from 1.0 to 0.0. In 0.5 to 1.0 is Hi-sec (high security) and is patroled by Concord, the NPC Police Force Corperation. If you are attacked in these solar systems Concord will warp in with VERY BIG ships and blow the offender away (unless you did something like steal from them or you attacked first). There are a few minor game exceptions but thats the gist of it.

The Galaxy's core is called Empire Space as the 4 player races empires are there. It is prodomanantly Hi-Sec (and you can tell your autopilot to avoid Low-Sec and even if you try to fly there you'll get a warning before you do). Lo-Sec is the outer ring of the galaxy and is the wild west full of PVP's, waring corperations, and teams of roving pirates, both player and otherwise.

I stay and work in Hi-sec and have only lost ships because of client bugs or because I tried to save a friend who was being attacked by a guy who tricked him into a fight. The ones I lost due to long since fixed issues in the client I had reembursed by CCP for the ships I lost.

If you want to take a free 14 day trial account (it has some minor limits on it but is a good way to learn about the game and try things out to see what you like) go here: https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?aid=102321&bid=&nogreet=1

(I don't get any affliate benifits from this link, you can also get it by going to the EVE-Online.com website.)

Collapse -
I've been playing this
by ibcrandy-2120454356981420 / December 11, 2007 11:34 PM PST

I've been playing this for about 6 months now and it's pretty fun, but be warned it has a steep learning curve. There are lots of guides online explaining things, but a lot of it you just have to figure out on your own. The tutorial in the game covers the basics so you can navigate your way around, mine, fight pirates, produce items, and do missions. However there are still many things to learn about that you must learn from other players, experimentation, or reading online. The game is truly vast and a lot of the content comes from player corporations in the form of alliance wars and diplomacy. It's one of the few MMOs I've seen where player politics is successfully integrated as a major component of the game.

It's also nice for the causal player since there are a lot of things you can do while semi-afk. The skills your character learns, for example, are strictly time based. You set a skill to train and X time later you have that skill, and it doesn't matter if you're online or offline. This allows casual players to progress just as quickly in skills as hard core players, so long as they remember to hop on from time to time and switch their skills when the previous one has finished training.

My only complaint for the game is the same as it's greatest boon: it's so open ended new players can feel lost as to what they should be doing, and this can drive away players early on. If you stick with it though it can be a very fun game.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.