The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

EVDO as broadband

by MacHugger / March 3, 2006 6:11 AM PST

I was just reading dpeltz's post about the sling player on say, a Treo.

If you live in a rural area that might support EVDO but not yet have broadband, would it be possible/practical to use your Treo or other EVDO enabled device as your broadband carrier?

If it's $30 per month for unlimited access, that's cheaper than what I pay with Comcast. What's to keep me using my phone as the hub for my broadband network. Anything? A co-worker mentioned this before but I wasn't sure I believed him.

-Kevin S.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EVDO as broadband
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EVDO as broadband
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unlimited
by rosscbrown / March 3, 2006 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: EVDO as broadband

Unlimited, in the UK atleast, with telcos means with fair usagge policy - be careful!

Collapse -
evdo for broadband...
by mobilegeek05-20592981391535263275494166326834 / March 3, 2006 10:14 AM PST

Yeah you cando that.a mobile phones set up as a modem. EV-DO is dependant on signal and number of people on the network so it probably wont be as dependable as comcast (in terms of speed) but you would have access to the internet.

Collapse -
Not According to the Term of Service
by pkscout / March 3, 2006 10:31 AM PST

It is technically possible, but just about every provider sells that $30 unlimited plan for use only on the device (Treo, Windows Mobile, etc). If you want something to use with your computer you'll pay upwards on $60 a month and get a PC Card. If your computer doesn't have a PC Card slot check a little ways back in the forum for a thread on a box that is an EVDO to WiFi router.

Collapse -
Unlimited bandwidth and the fine print
by shetaan819 / January 30, 2008 6:09 AM PST

I generally agree with Tom and the other members of Buzz Town on most topics, but I remember that when he was talking about a Bell Mobility customer using his phone as a modem on an unlimited plan, he was okay with the fact that the user received a $85K phone bill....granted , this user downloaded a bunch of high def videos and other large files, but if Bell Mobility (or whatever other carrier) doesn't have it in their fine print or at least semi-prominent, by no means should they be faced with outrageous charges....

I had a similar idea to do this in the US with Sprint or Verizon but they've since changed their agreements so that if an unusually high amount of bandwidth is taken up by a single user, they cap you at 128K mbps....the trouble is, that 'unusually high' number, is not a number - its just an arbitrary figure and is not spelled out by the carriers....most likely, your average user still won't have a problem with using their bandwidth for their home computers, but why should we be forced to pay two bills for what is essentially the same service, whether on a mobile phone or at home....

Sprint was supposed to be offering a EVDO router but I'm not sure what happened to those efforts....http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/05/sprint-announces-ev-do-router-and-usb-dongle/

Collapse -
Verizon
by LeetheSchmee / January 30, 2008 10:17 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?