General discussion

Evan Longoria's Crazy Bare Hand Catch

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Evan Longoria's Crazy Bare Hand Catch
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Evan Longoria's Crazy Bare Hand Catch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I think it was, or faked entirely

The "reporter" doesn't even flinch and nobody acts at all impressed by the catch.

- Collapse -
You really think the reporter would risk being injured...

for a crazy stunt? Or that the players would risk injuring her and being sued? No way. She didn't flinch because she doesn't have the reflexes of a trained athlete. And she and the camera crew can be heard to be gasping directlyafter the catch.

- Collapse -
Here's a claim tha t it was a fake..
- Collapse -
The fact that nobody.....

.....will come out and say it's real should be proof enough that it isn't. The writer of that piece made some very good points. I'm going with "fake" vs. "staged."

- Collapse -
He looks pretty annoyed by the thing, and I don't think she

actually was aware the ball would have hit her. It was a hell of a catch with no warning. My wife catches like that. I've never been able to surprise her with a tossed object (soft ones, like rolled up socks or tennis balls).

Rob

- Collapse -
Faked...several giveaways

His hand would not have stopped dead at impact but jerked toward the camera. There was no sound of warning issued to them that the ball was traveling their way though the "OHHHs" afterward were plenty. I'd also think that his instinct would have been to either try and knock the ball down or even shield her in some way rather than catch it. Her reaction is rather weak as well. Looks real enough but I don't think it happened.

- Collapse -
The crack of the bat...

fielders judge by that all the time. I'll reserve judgement.

- Collapse -
Watch the slo-mo

I see the ball hit low and straight ahead but suddenly another rises and curls toward the two of them. There are two baseballs visible if you watch closely enough.

- Collapse -
At that moment in time look closely at the bat

There's one ball flying straight away and then another spliced in flying toward Evan. Good editing but two balls give it away.

- Collapse -
I downloaded it and....

played it over and over. I don't see two balls. Still reserving judgement.

- Collapse -
Need frame by frame

watch it again and blink your eyes fast....really, really fast. Grin

- Collapse -
Yup, if you look closely you can see the cut

The fact that the "BP" is taking place at night, that there are no other hitters waiting their turn to hit, that he's not in an actual Rays uniform (it's green/white) and and that the protective cages aren't up should also be clues that this whole thing was staged, and the hit itself was edited. Also, after Longoria (supposedly) catches the ball, he transfers something to his other hand, and then back to his throwing hand. Off-camera.

- Collapse -
green/white?
- Collapse -
That could be a spring training/practice uniform
- Collapse -
Actually, the most suspicious thing to me..

is all the Gillette signs. Might be the convincer.

- Collapse -
Try this
http://imageshack.us/f/8/ball1f.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/717/ball2m.jpg/

You'll need to zoom the image to see better. In image 1, the ball appears as an elongated white streak heading horizontally. I've circled it and you'll see it against the green background. In image 2, the slightly elongated ball is now in a vertical path. This is what to watch for. The first ball travels out of view quickly but it's visible against the green. View the video in full screen and you'll see that streak of white is not there all the time...only when the ball heads through the infield. You might also note that when he tosses the ball back onto the field, we don't see it bounce or bring up dust. It does not appear that he is throwing out of view either.
- Collapse -
I think that's the pitch.

Pretty sure that horizontal streak appears before the swing.

- Collapse -
Well, you're hard to convince but

watch from Longoria's right left shoulder (right side of frame) for what looks like a pitch. With about 60 feet from mound to plate, the ball should take maybe .4 seconds to reach the batter. I'm figuring this at about 90 mph, BTW, or 132 fps. The swing and crack of the bat seem to be too quick. As well, when they pan toward the mound, the pitcher is already standing at ease and no dust in sight. I don't think he even moved.

- Collapse -
And if it was BP....

....odds are the pitch was well under 90 mph. The guys who throw BP pretty much just lob it over.

- Collapse -
It's not!

I've never seen a pitch heading away from the batter...

- Collapse -
I think it's heading towards him.

Before the swing.

CNET Forums