Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Europe's C.I.A. Inquiry Finds No Evidence of Secret Prisons

by Mark5019 / January 25, 2006 7:17 AM PST

STRASBOURG, France, Jan. 24 - An inquiry by the Council of Europe into allegations that the C.I.A. has operated secret detention centers in Eastern Europe has turned up no evidence that such centers ever existed, though the leader of the inquiry, **** Marty, said there are enough "indications" to justify continuing the investigation.

The report added, however, that it was "highly unlikely" that European governments were unaware of the American program of renditions, in which terrorism suspects were either seized in or transferred through Europe to third countries where they may have been tortured. Drawing from news reports, Mr. Marty contended that "more than a hundred" detainees have been moved anonymously and illegally through Europe under the program.

The findings, delivered to the Council on Tuesday, drew scornful reactions from some representatives of the Council's 46 member states, particularly from the British, who called the interim report "as full of holes as Swiss cheese" and "clouded in myth and motivated by a desire to kick America."

Mr. Marty, a Swiss senator and chairman of Council's Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights, was charged with the inquiry after an article in The Washington Post in November cited unidentified intelligence officials as saying that the C.I.A. had maintained detention centers in eight countries, including some in Eastern European democracies.

A subsequent report by Human Rights Watch cited Poland and Romania as two of those countries. Both countries, as well as others in Europe, have denied the allegations.

Mr. Marty's findings to date amount to little more than a compendium of press clippings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/25/international/europe/25cia.html?_r=2&pagewanted=print

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Europe's C.I.A. Inquiry Finds No Evidence of Secret Prisons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Europe's C.I.A. Inquiry Finds No Evidence of Secret Prisons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's more evidence
by dirtyrich / January 25, 2006 8:36 AM PST

of WMDs in Iraq.

Collapse -
He expected to find a trail of CIA evidence? He must be as
by Kiddpeat / January 25, 2006 10:03 AM PST

dumb as he thinks the CIA is.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) hehehe :)
by Glenda / January 25, 2006 11:09 AM PST
Collapse -
A different perspective
by bulldogzerofive / January 25, 2006 5:13 PM PST

I am located in Germany. I watched the press conference at which this report was released and have seen the general reaction here.

"No evidence" is hardly the message being conveyed here.

The message they see in the media here is that there is "strong evidence" and for such prisons, but "no proof." Most people would like to see further investigation and some opportunistic politicians are even using this as a reason to stop further integration of Eastern European countries into their cherished EU.

Personally, I am an agnostic toward the "secret CIA prisons," and it would not bother me if they did have them. However, the "desire to kick America" motivation that has been cited for this report has more resonance here than most people realize and is a more serious issue than most people realize. European (and indeed world) willingness to assign nefarious motives to America and Americans is, I think, the real news here and something that we cannot afford to ignore.

Collapse -
Well, yah. The piece Mark linked to said the whole
by Kiddpeat / January 25, 2006 8:37 PM PST

investigation is based on 'press reports'. The investigation found nothing but 'press reports'. That's what makes the whole thing ludicrous.

As far as Europe's attitude towards America, I doubt that most Americans have ever cared what Europeans think of them. After all, most of them descend from people who left Europe to seek a better life. We know the French, Germans, and others like the profits which flow from people like Saddam. They are probably not all that averse to profits flowing from people like Osama. They like such things as long as they aren't affected by the results. Perhaps it is the Europeans who should be more concerned about their image in America.

Collapse -
You're right.
by Dan McC / January 25, 2006 10:15 PM PST

But this administration will continue to ignore it.

*sigh*

Dan

Collapse -
As they should.
by EdH / January 25, 2006 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: You're right.

Euro-poltroons will never love us or be worth paying attention to.

Collapse -
Or better yet!
by dirtyrich / January 26, 2006 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: You're right.

We can cave to all the anti-American hysterics and let the world all go to heck.

Collapse -
And interesting.
by Angeline Booher / January 26, 2006 12:10 AM PST

There are a goodly number of Europeans who are prone to rejoice in our warts, either real or perceived, which they have done for decades.

(Just an aside.... reading Mr. Marty's statements sent my mind back to secret Swiss bank accounts , their alledged holding of some valuables of Holocaust victims. "Who among us is without stain?")

That being said, I do think it is important to hear of the attitudes held for two reasons. One, seeing ourselves as others see us, either as individuals or as a nation, can be educational. Two, history has shown that times arise when a coalition and cooperation between countries breeds success in achieving common goals.

Rightly or wrongly, and I admit is a simplistic view, but to me the formation of the EU was a good move. In my mind as I see the various countries as collective "states", each with their own governments (as in our states and Canada's provinces). I reckon the EU institution serves as their "head of state". Europeans fought each other for centuries, and this coming together is positive.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!