Computer Help forum

General discussion

Eudora email

by mfsi / January 16, 2007 7:54 AM PST

I heard something on a radio program a few days ago about Eudora users would need to find another email because Eudora was going to stop supporting or something like that. Do you know anything about that?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Eudora email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Eudora email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not take a minute to check at the source?
by Edward ODaniel / January 16, 2007 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Eudora email
Collapse -
Why not take a minute to check at the source?
by mfsi / January 16, 2007 11:13 PM PST

I don't understand what that means. Will I be able to continue using Eudora, the free version?

Collapse -
Yes, you will
by Edward ODaniel / January 17, 2007 5:28 AM PST

From the previous link I offered you, you can read their press releases such as:
http://www.eudora.com/press/2006/eudora-mozilla_final_10.11.06.html

Future versions of Eudora will be free and open source, while retaining Eudora?s uniquely rich feature set and productivity enhancements. QUALCOMM and Mozilla will each participate in, and continue to foster development communities based around the open source Mozilla project, with a view to enhancing the capabilities and ease of use of both Eudora and Thunderbird.
?We?re pleased to welcome Eudora and its millions of users to the world of open source,? said Frank Hecker, executive director of the Mozilla Foundation. ?This effort should further enrich the Thunderbird technology platform and provide users of both products with an even richer email experience.?

More information about the open source version of Eudora and details for existing customers of the classic version of Eudora can be found at www.eudora.com/faq.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope

The Penelope project's intention is to join the Eudora

Collapse -
Not really
by jackson dougless / January 16, 2007 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Eudora email

They've handed off development of the program to the Mozilla Foundation, and it will live on as part of Mozilla Thunderbird.

Collapse -
Not really
by mfsi / January 17, 2007 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Not really

So, I need to be finding another email. Right?

Collapse -
Not necessarily
by jackson dougless / January 17, 2007 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Not really

It's not like whatever version you have will suddenly stop working the instant support for it stops. Assuming it plays nicely with Vista, you should be able to continue using your current version for several years if you want.

It's just that Eudora as you know it will cease to exist from the next version on. What the Mozilla Foundation plans to do with the Eudora brand has yet to be seen. They may decide to retire it, cherry picking the best features of Eudora for inclusion into Mozilla Thunderbird, they may continue to develop the existing Eudora codebase for a time, they may offer a commercial version of Thunderbird under the brandname of Eudora, or something I haven't thought of.

There's no great rush, but it might not be a bad idea to start thinking about moving yourself over to an actively maintained email client. If a nasty security issue is found with the version you're currently using, there's no guarantee there will ever be a fix. Again, there's no rush. Take your time and look at your options.

Collapse -
Eudora
by mfsi / January 17, 2007 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Not necessarily

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?