Speakeasy forum

General discussion

EU Wants Shared Control of Internet

by Mark5019 / September 30, 2005 12:38 PM PDT

The European Union insisted Friday that governments and the private sector must share the responsibility of overseeing the Internet, setting the stage for a showdown with the United States on the future of Internet governance.

A senior U.S. official reiterated Thursday that the country wants to remain the Internet's ultimate authority, rejecting calls in a United Nations meeting in Geneva for a U.N. body to take over.

EU spokesman Martin Selmayr said a new cooperation model was important "because the Internet is a global resource."

"The EU ... is very firm on this position," he added.

The Geneva talks were the last preparatory meeting before November's World Summit on the Information Society in Tunisia.

A stalemate over who should serve as the principal traffic cops for Internet routing and addressing could derail the summit, which aims to ensure a fair sharing of the Internet for the benefit of the whole world.

good thing kerry didnt win he would hand over:(

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/30/D8CUKA481.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EU Wants Shared Control of Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EU Wants Shared Control of Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
he would hand over
by JP Bill / September 30, 2005 12:41 PM PDT

Did the world agree that the US had control of the internet?

Collapse -
we invented it
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2005 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: he would hand over

so its ours but the ua is just as bad as the un

Collapse -
Actually, Mark, while we invented the Internet,
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 30, 2005 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: we invented it

the World Wide Web was invented by the Swiss.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
and were gonna keep it
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2005 1:40 PM PDT

but your kind would have it in the eu and the un controling our security.

Collapse -
And your kind
by Tibbs / September 30, 2005 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: and were gonna keep it

do have it in the USA to control the security of the rest of the world.

Collapse -
who would be better?
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2005 2:02 PM PDT
In reply to: And your kind

were the only super power left were the supperior country, thats why all the forinors want in dont see to many going north few yes.so unless you think the un which there just a waste of space is good you should relize how superior the usa is to most countries

Collapse -
"who would be better?"
by Tibbs / October 1, 2005 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: who would be better?

Nepal?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) good when you leaveing for nepal? bye bye
by Mark5019 / October 1, 2005 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: "who would be better?"
Collapse -
gonna keep it
by JP Bill / September 30, 2005 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: and were gonna keep it

You (USA) could have the USWW (United States Wide Web)330 Million People

And the rest of the world would have the WWW (World Wide Web) 6.3 Billion people

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) so let them have that we have the main frames lol
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2005 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: gonna keep it
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Go for it.
by Kiddpeat / September 30, 2005 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: gonna keep it
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) We? I thought one of our Vice Pres. invented the Inter
by John Robie / September 30, 2005 3:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
That sounds like an Al Gore statement. Please cite the
by Kiddpeat / September 30, 2005 5:16 PM PDT

source. Since the browser that popularized the web was invented at the U of I, I question how much the Swiss had to do with it.

Collapse -
Al Gore invented the internet...
by caktus / October 4, 2005 4:02 AM PDT

just like his mother sang him to sleep to "Look for the union label" when he was 27.

Collapse -
Actually that is again INCORRECT...
by Edward ODaniel / October 1, 2005 8:27 AM PDT

Tim Berners-Lee is a British citizen born in London and a graduate of Oxford University.

He was an INDEPENDANT CONTRACTOR at C.E.R.N. when he developed hypertext as part of his Enquire project for sharing information among researchers. He actually got the idea for Enquire from an early computer game called "Adventure" (which was a text game where you explored a series of caves searching for treasure and adventure "you are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike" and the format was also used in later games with graphics such as "King's Quest"). He later returned as a fellow and developed the WWW from his Enquire prototype.

At no time was Tim Berners-Lee a citizen of Switzerland so any claim of the World Wide Web being a Swiss invention is COMPLETELY WRONG.

Collapse -
OK, Ed -- "invented in Switzerland," if you insist.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 4, 2005 4:38 AM PDT

Point is, it wasn't here -- we came up with a faster system for text-only communication (remember gopher servers? Happy )

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I do, Dave...
by J. Vega / October 4, 2005 4:53 AM PDT

I remember GopherSpace, Dave. Do you remember Archie, Varonica and Jughead? Remember when programs were called "hacks"? Dave, we're dating ourselves (grin).

Collapse -
Not even "invented" there Dave...
by Edward ODaniel / October 4, 2005 6:18 AM PDT

as his actual program called "WorlDwidEweb" was a browser/editor based on programs he has written in London in the 80's.

You might say that he did all his work on programming that original browser/editor in Switzerland but he had developed the algorhythms before he went to Switzerland. He did fire up the original Web SERVER with a Swiss domain registration.

Four short years later he founded the World Wide Web Consortium at MIT and that is acually where most of the refinements to the web itself happened.

And yes, I do remember gopher and archie (ARCHIvE server) and veronica (Very Easy Rodent-Oriented Net-wide Index to Computerized Archives) as well as jughead (can't remember what the acronym is for but it was something about Universal Gopher Hierarchy) and WAIS and even HyTelnet.

Do you remember why gopher was called gopher?

Do you remember Rick Gates and the monthly "Internet Hunts"?

Collapse -
Not quite. If you read anything about the background, you
by Kiddpeat / October 4, 2005 8:44 AM PDT

would see that Berners-Lee quickly wound up at MIT where a lot of the work was, and is, done. Also, there were minor things like the dominant web browser which was developed at the University of Illinois. IOW, the web is also largely an American invention. That's why we don't have to learn French to use it.

Collapse -
You are one of the luckiest men on earth!
by Tibbs / September 30, 2005 1:14 PM PDT

You live exactly where you want to live. Any other place (Israel may be the exception) must be hell for you to live in! I am really happy for you Mark! Lucky you!

Collapse -
well tibbs
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2005 1:38 PM PDT

one day you may relize the usa is the best
keep on hopeing to be as good as us i know your green with envy.

but thats your problem usa all the way

Collapse -
elaborate, please
by jonah jones / September 30, 2005 5:42 PM PDT
Any other place(Israel may be the exception) must be hell for you to live in!

please do elaborate on the bold quoted text....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What's so hard to understand?
by Tibbs / October 1, 2005 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: elaborate, please
Collapse -
Since the US military invented the internet, there is
by Kiddpeat / September 30, 2005 5:13 PM PDT

absolutely NO REASON for the US to cede control to the UN. That would simply immerse it in political wrangling. Personally, I don't care what the EU thinks or does with respect to the internet.

Collapse -
1990 ARPANET ceases to exist
by Roger NC / October 1, 2005 6:37 AM PDT
ARPANET ceases to exist

First connection takes place between Brazil, by Fapesp, and the Internet at 9600 baud.

Commercial Internet eXchange (CIX) Association, Inc. formed by General Atomics (CERFnet), Performance Systems International, Inc. (PSInet), and UUNET Technologies, Inc. (AlterNet), after NSF lifts restrictions on the commercial use of the Net (March) (:glg:)

Wide Area Information Servers (WAIS), invented by Brewster Kahle, released by Thinking Machines Corporation

Gopher released by Paul Lindner and Mark P. McCahill from the Univ of Minnesota

World-Wide Web (WWW) released by CERN; Tim Berners-Lee developer (:pb1:). First Web server is nxoc01.cern.ch, launched in Nov 1990 and later renamed info.cern.ch.

Roger

Collapse -
EU Wants Control of the Geedas & Gelt
by Catgic / September 30, 2005 6:19 PM PDT

Declan McCullagh wrote a related article on the subject of Control of the Internet back in July. See:

http://news.com.com/Will+the+U.N.+run+the+Internet/2010-1071_3-5780157.html

Do you see that money truck ahead of you on the Information Highway? Follow it and you'll find it will lead you to One United Nations Plaza, 1st Avenue at East 44th Street, NW, New York, NY 10017 USA.

Now the EU wants to add another ?bag man? to fly the UN $huttle from Bru$$el$ to JFK and back.

First, UN and EU control of the WWW then international fees and taxes will follow. Once an EU and/or U.N. Worldwide Bureaucratic Regulatory Authority is created for our global ''consumer protection,'' the WEB FREEDOM we Web Citizens enjoy today will be will be subverted into WEB FEE-DUMB.

The U.N. and the EU never met a Yankee Doodle Web Surfer they liked. To the EU and U.N., USA is transliterated into U$A. Grab for your wallets if the UN/EU get their regulatory way. Look at what U.N. regulators in Sheep?s Clothing, the EUC, did and are doing to U.S. technology capitalists and other profitable U.S. businesses like Microsoft, Boeing, GE-Honeywell, Time-Warner, et. al. over in Europe.

Neither Al Gore nor any UN or EU countries had anything to do with creation of the Internet. The history of the Internet in three words or less: ARPAnet => DARPAnet => INTERnet. There was no UNnet or EUnet back at INTERNET DAY ONE.

In the beginning Techno-Geeks created the nodes and the links
And the Internet was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the net. And the Spirit of Geekdom moved upon the face of the Web.
And DoD said, Let there be ARPAnet; and there was ARPAnet.
And DoD saw the ARPAnet, that it was good: and DoD renamed the ARPAnet the DARPAnet.
-- Techno-Genesis 1: 1-4 (Poliakonian Testament)

As regards the UN and EU wanting to seize control of the Internet.

And I sat in my Cyber Sanctum Sanctorum; and I viewed a Web Cam of the e-beast rising out of the Web, having ten horns and seven heads, and upon its horns ten diadems, and upon its heads names of Web blasphemy.
-- Techno-Revelation 13:1 (Poliakonian Testament)

The Internet *ain?t broke* and we Webizens certainly don?t need the UN and/or EU *to fix it* for us. JPB-)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Right on !!!!
by Angeline Booher / October 1, 2005 12:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
seize control
by JP Bill / October 1, 2005 2:21 AM PDT

The article states (first post by Mark)

that governments and the private sector must share the responsibility of overseeing the Internet

It is the US that wants to remain the Internet's ultimate authority

Is it possible that the rest of the countries get together and set their own system up? It may not be/seem likely, but it is possible.

The internet genie is out of the bottle, and there is nothing any one country can do, to prevent a "parallel internet"

I didn't say it was broken, my point is there are so many things happening on the internet, expansion wise, that it might be a good idea to have some sort of coordination.

Collapse -
they can do what they want
by Mark5019 / October 1, 2005 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: seize control

but were not i hope gona cave into a bunch of europeon wenies

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!