Speakeasy forum

General discussion

eTrust EZ Antivirus

by David Evans / April 6, 2004 12:29 PM PDT

I've been using it for a little over a year and have been happy with it so far. It's caught several viruses in my email and cleaned them up when I ran a scan.

But yesterday it notified me that I had received an email with a worm. I clicked the "ok" on the notification, then I clicked on the message and it contained an attachment called "gift.pif." I didn't click on the attachment.

So I doubleclicked on the eTrust icon on the taskbar and ran a scan on c:\program files\Pocomail, because the attachments are stored in a subfolder of that directory. It started the scan, but when it got to the "gift.pif" file it just hung for a long time. Long enough that I hit the "stop scan" button and restarted the scan. The second scan did not find any viruses, but the attachment was still there. I closed the eTrust screen (the program was still running after that of course) and noticed that there was a popup screen that said my "real time protection" or "true vector" (can't recall the exact name) was turned off, and asked if I'd like to turn it back on. I clicked "yes" and the whole computer froze up. Had to unplug it to restart. A third scan did not find the worm, yet the "gift.pif" attachment was still there.

That made me kind of nervous, because this sounded like the kind of thing a worm or virus might do. So I restarted and reverted back one hour using GoBack.

Anybody experienced anything like this? I'd like to know whether eTrust failed me or what.

BTW, I've had one virus infection on my computers over all these years. The first and last time was the "antiexe" virus many years ago. After that, I installed antivirus software and have been fine since.

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: eTrust EZ Antivirus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: eTrust EZ Antivirus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:eTrust EZ Antivirus
by gearup / April 6, 2004 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: eTrust EZ Antivirus
Collapse -
Re:Re:eTrust EZ Antivirus
by David Evans / April 6, 2004 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:eTrust EZ Antivirus

Thanks, haven't run an online scan in a while. I'll run it, won't hurt to get a second opinion from another virus scanner. BTW, this is an XP Home machine.

The email is gone and there should be no problem from the worm since I didn't open the attachment and I use Pocomail. I reverted back one hour with Goback within a few minutes of all of this happening so I figure it's ok. I do daily backups of all my datafiles to cd too, so the most I could lose is a day's work, but that can be a lot.

That message about something being turned off concerned me because that sounds like something a worm or virus would do. That's why I used Goback for the first time. This happened on my primary work machine.

DE

Collapse -
Addenda
by gearup / April 6, 2004 12:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: eTrust EZ Antivirus
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 6, 2004 1:34 PM PDT

Hi, DavE.

Do you recall the name of the worm? Some of them have specific coding so that if activated, they hide themselves from the most common AV programs. I didn't realize yours was that common, but perhaps... IAC, if you remember the name of the worm, look up its characteristics at the Norton or McAfee site -- that should tell you if the worm has that capability.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.