Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ethical question

by SteveGargini / September 17, 2004 5:03 PM PDT

Right, this is the situation:
World War 3 kicks off big time, and all animal life is wiped out on the planet, except for a few humans who have survived by living in a sealed environment underground.
The cells and sperms from every know animal has been kept in a frozen state.
Now here's the ethical question.
At some point in the future the planet becomes safe to inhabit again, but the only way that other animals can be brought back into existence is if a human female acts as a surrogate mother to some of the other animals. Scientifically, because of the blood
type difference it may not be possible, but we will assume for the sake of the ethical question that it is possible.
Things such as the size of the off-spring, ie elephants, which would obviously be a physically impossibility must also be excluded from the conversation, for the sake of keeping the ethical question on track.
So to summarise, if it was possible, would it be ok for a human female to act as a surrogate for other animals, but remembering that no other animal could come back into existence otherwise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethical question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethical question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Ethical question/my answer
by Steven Haninger / September 17, 2004 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Ethical question

Unless the surviving humans were specifically designated for the suggested purpose of replenshing animal populations and the contingency plan was in place with all the necessary mechanisms, I would say these humans would be on their own to survive by whatever means they could. There would, naturally, need to be some initial food source and all I could think of is some sort of edible plantlife. Any animals produced would need to be able to exist as vegetarians until such a time that there was sufficient numbers of them to "release" the carnivors and omnivors. Anyway, my initial thought is that it would be more important to preserve the humans than to risk the demise of the last of them. Let them eat plants if they are there and succumb to what fate has to offer. Hmmm, what I think you have here is another base to develop a sci-fi movie. Would you promise that, if you do so and it makes you rich and famous that you will share it with all contributors at SE. And, could you also not write GWB into the script as the cause of the initial catastrophe? Happy

Collapse -
Thanks Steven
by SteveGargini / September 18, 2004 5:55 AM PDT

Yep, good answer. I tend to think that way myself if attempting to give birth to another animal species is dangerous to one of the remaining human females.
If I make a million I will definitely remember all my friends on S.E. I will have to expand the idea first....ummm! Sounds like a worthwhile project.

Collapse -
Saw one yesterday who looked ready to have a baby elephant.
by Catgic / September 17, 2004 9:33 PM PDT

There must be a secret government program underway now, to try this.

I went to pick up my neighbors kid at nursey school for her the other day. I think they have a captive breeding program underway at the Nursey School she uses. One almost bit me as I was signing for the tyke.

It must be "Black Bio-Program" funding from the CIA or somewhere. Maybe all the "unaccounted" Halliburton Iraq War support money is the "Secret Source" of program monies. Wink

If there is any woman dumb enough to let someone implant an elephant embryo in her womb, there's some PhD smart enough to write a successful Grant Proposal for goverment money to do the deed.

The government funded Snail Darter Breeding studies, why not Human Surrogate Elephant Breeding.

Collapse -
LOL....My 1st wife said she thought she was having
by John Robie / September 18, 2004 6:02 AM PDT

a hippopotamus after the birth of our 1st child. I rushed in to the nursery to see, and it was only a chubby boy... human.

Wink
JR

Collapse -
Re: Saw one yesterday who looked ready to have a baby elepha
by SteveGargini / September 18, 2004 6:12 AM PDT

Lol jpoliakon, I am rolling about in tears thinking about this close encounter you had with elephant women.
I shall probably get set upon for that. It's a good job I live in the UK.
You betcha the idea of human female surrogacy for other animals has been considered by the scientists.

Collapse -
Re: Ethical question
by MKay / September 17, 2004 11:00 PM PDT

Yes, it would be morally OK but let's hope by that time we can find a way to transplant a womb and a uterus into males.:-)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good idea, Mary Kay! :-)
by RB2D2 / September 17, 2004 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ethical question
Collapse -
(NT) (NT)Ouchy, ouch! Does that mean I'll be able to find my sock
by Catgic / September 18, 2004 3:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nice one Mary
by SteveGargini / September 18, 2004 6:19 AM PDT

The mind boggles what it would feel like as a man.
Then again, with the size of my gut I doubt I would feel any different. lol

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just as long as I could still pee standing up.
by dirtyrich / September 18, 2004 1:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good point D.R. - they better leave my willy alone :)
by SteveGargini / September 18, 2004 2:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
The chicken or the egg?
by Angeline Booher / September 19, 2004 1:27 AM PDT

Where would the egg and the sperm come from as all of the animals had been wiped out??

Of course, perhaps some chickens, pigmy pigs, and game birds were also housed in the underground safe place. The warm-blooded ones might be a possibility of the future, but cold-blooded egg layers would not.

Maybe the surviving humans would best be occupied with increasing the human population. There could be a chance that some great minds would be born and solve their dilemma. Conversely, there could also be a chance that, with such a close-kin breeding that there would not.

It appears that roaches and rats have survived through most anything. Happy

Seriously, there have been natural cataclysmic events, and life still survived. Though they had the force of nuclear explosions, to my knowledge they did not leave radiation. The globe being decimated by nuclear war would, so perhaps if any sparks of life survived they could evolve into new forms.

With the nuclear winter that would be around for a long time, I would hope that the safe place also stored seeds, along with enough water to last for who knows how long? And that it would have some sort of sewage disposal system.

There have been questions raised whether or not humans would even want to survive. Our urge to survive has been strong, however.

Interesting scenario, Steve!

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?