Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Ethernet RJ45 cable job

I ran a new cable out of my current router and house, around the backside and around fromt up to the 2nd floor. Crimped and put on the RJ45 cable ends, hooke dit up and got the lights blinking and thought all was well. BUT NOT, so since putting those RJ45 on the ends is not easy, what is the way to tell which end is bad or if both ends I put on incorrectly. I do have the colors correctly but really can't tell if they are all the way into the plug. Looks right but it does not work. HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet RJ45 cable job
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet RJ45 cable job
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Technique for RJ45 cabling

In reply to: Ethernet RJ45 cable job

Here's how I do it and it's been a long time since I made a bad one. Of course follow the usual steps to separate the pairs. I untwist about and inch of the cable and separate the wires into the proper sequence. I sort of pinch and squeeze them in a couple of different directions in an effort to straighten the wires. Otherwise they'll try to overlap on you when you insert them in the plug end. Then, I use a good sharp pair of diagonal cutters (or you can use the blade on the crimping tool) to square off the ends to about 1/2 inch from the sheath. Do not let go of the cable end from this point on. Insert the plug and push it firmly onto the wire. Then, hold the plug in such a way that you can see the cut ends of the copper as they reach the end of the plastic plug. All 8 ends should be reflecting light if they've reached the end. If even a mm away, you'll see a difference in light value. Once you are sure they are all fully inserted, use the crimper to finish them off. There should be a distinct feel when they punch into place. I use a ratcheting type crimper. Lastly, hold both plug ends side by side and examine them to be sure the colors are properly sequenced and that all 8 copper ends are clearly visible.

If I'm right that you drilled holes to exit and re-enter the house, make sure the wiring is rated for outdoor use and that you make those drip loops at the exit and entry points or it'll try to bring water in where you breached the walls.

Collapse -
Get yourself

In reply to: Ethernet RJ45 cable job

Collapse -
wiring

In reply to: Get yourself

Thanks and it worked.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!