Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Ethernet printer on Airport network stopped working... Help

by VermontAlex / January 20, 2010 11:38 PM PST

I have a Mac/Windows home network with two airport extreme base stations. One is connected to my dsl modem. The other is used wirelessly to extend the network, and I have a Xerox Phaser 5500 connected to one of its lan ports. Until recently, all computers, connected wirelessly could share the internet connection and print to the Phaser. Due to a power failure, I had to reset both the Airport base stations. I can still connect to the internet, however I can not print from any of the computers.

The print monitor says the network host is busy, but the IP address it gives for the printer is the same assigned to my MacBook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet printer on Airport network stopped working... Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet printer on Airport network stopped working... Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make sure that the printer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 5:01 AM PST

has an IP address that is static and not one provided by the DHCP server on your network.
IP printing requires an IP address and it would normally be a constant address. However, if the IP address of the printer is known, then it can be setup initially, and work until the first power failure.
At that point, the printer looses it's IP address, gets another and all your computers are looking for an IP address that does not belong to a printer.

Check the AE base station for the scope (range) of addresses that it will allocate as DHCP and choose an address above that range. Then configure the printer with that address so that it is static and never changes. Reconfigure the printer setup on your computers to find that IP address and the problem should not occur again

Hope that helps

P

Collapse -
More on IP addresses,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 5:09 AM PST

I believe the AE passes out IP numbers in the range that ends in .200

Make the printer IP address end in .210 and you are in the clear.

See your printer manual for how to set the IP address manually.

P

Collapse -
IP address
by mhollis55 / January 23, 2010 5:24 AM PST

You can check your printer's IP address by going to the printer and then printing out a test page. Then, if you print to that IP address, you'll see your printer.

I really like the idea of setting an address that no other device (in your LAN) will use. If you can manually set that address on your printer (Something like 10.0.0.210) then once you find your printer, you should not have any problems in the future.

Collapse -
IP address...
by VermontAlex / January 24, 2010 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: IP address

Thanks, I will try that.

I have managed to print by using the printers USB port instead of ethernet, but the windows computers lose some of the options such as two sided printing.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!