Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Ethernet or wireless connection? Which one protects better ?

I have the option of connecting to the Internet either with ethernet (using a modem) or wirelessly (using a router). Which one gives better protection from viruses/malwares ? I understand routers have 2 IP addresses and although am not an expert in this field, I am suspecting the router adds firewalls over above Windows firewalls. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet or wireless connection? Which one protects better ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet or wireless connection? Which one protects better ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Either Way

In reply to: Ethernet or wireless connection? Which one protects better ?

The purpose of a router is to share the Internet connection. If you only have one PC you don't need a router. Either way, you want a firewall, antivirus, and antispyware/malware software installed.

Collapse -
Which one gives better protection . . .

Neither. They are not designed as such.

A router can have up to a hundred IP addresses, even more if you know what you're doing. A router's design has what is considered to be a hardware firewall. I'll let you do a little Googling for specifics.

For your computer's protection you need to have an Anti-Virus program and one of several anti-malware, -spyware programs running. Including a software firewall. Since you didn't tell us what operating system you are using we cannot comment on the type of Windows firewall you are talking about. There are more than one.

Collapse -
To Coryphaeus

In reply to: Which one gives better protection . . .

Many tks for your explicative reply well noted. I am running Windows XP Home edition on my Toshiba Laptop which came out with Norton antivirus but I did not update Norton when it expired and I am not happy with Norton. I intend to install free AVAST as anti-virus and have installed SpyBot search and destroy for malware. Would you recommend me AVAST ? and do I have to uninstall Norton before installing and running AVAST ? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
If it starts with an "A" . . .

In reply to: To Coryphaeus

Avast, AVG . . . I've used AVG for years. Free, potent, and not the resource hog that Norton is. By all means, uninstall Norton first. Then uninstall the Norton updater and anything else in the Add/Remove utility. Then go to Explorer and delete the Norton and Symantec folders. Then install your anti-virus. Also consider AdAware and Windows Defender for XP. Then you'll be good to go.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: If it starts with an "A" . . .

thanks. very helpful.

Collapse -
BINARY

In reply to: If it starts with an "A" . . .

I took progamming in the earily 70's. I understand binary and card punching. But I'm pretty much lost on these new "puters", no vacume tubes, etc.etc. And what is a Mbps? That is straight from star trek!!
Jerry

Collapse -
wired & wireless

I'm not sure that wired/wireless work differently as far as malware and viruses. Most commonly, these items enter an end-user's system over HTTP protocol on port :80- when you're browsing the web. This works the same with wired/wireless. Home network routers are more useful for using a single ISP connection among multiple computers.

If you're concerned with security, wired is more secure and faster in general. If you use wireless, be sure to read your router's manual on how to properly secure your wireless network. This will prevent your neighbors and others from using your network and potentially downloading malware. Good luck.

Ranjit Viswakumar
HostMySite.com

Collapse -
wired or wireless

In reply to: wired & wireless

thanks. well noted.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.