General discussion

Ethernet not recognised on XP!!??!!

Hi all,

I have dusted down my old tower and want to update the sound card driver. Therefore, I have tried to connect it via my modem via Ethernet. However, when it gets to the appropriate part of the CD download software it states that my tower does not have an Ethernet connection.

I know it does because I used it to connect to the web years ago.

Can anyone shed any light on exactly what the problem is?

Regards

Grahaam

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Ethernet not recognised on XP!!??!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ethernet not recognised on XP!!??!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Has your ethernet adapter been disabled?

Check in device manager for a red cross on the Network adapter

- Collapse -
I agree about checking the Device Manager,

but can you tell us what you mean by that, "However, when it gets to the appropriate part of the CD download software"?

What CD Download software?

Mark

- Collapse -
Where is the Network Adapter in the Device Manager?

Thank you for your attention Gentlemen, I really appreciate it.

As the title suggests, I am in Device Manager but see no heading of "Network Adapter." I do have "Ethernet Controller" under "Other Devices" but I suppose this is not what I am looking for is it? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Mark, sorry about the vagueness of my last post. I meant to say the ISP CD software, and as to when it reaches the point when it searches for an Ethernet connection.

Thanks again

Graham

- Collapse -
You found the issue.

""Ethernet Controller" under "Other Devices" "

This happens when the driver is not installed, lost or broken. HOWEVER all I have for a clue about this machine is "XPS". That could be a Dell. If so, head to Dell.com, put in the service tag number and find the drivers for your machine.

I'd install the motherboard chipset drivers then the ethernet drivers. Reboot and try again.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info