PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Ethernet Controler Problem

As I was using the computer, it suddenly froze (happening a lot lately), I couldn?t do anything but pressed the restart button as usual.

After restarting, I was prompted that a new hardware was found. Surprisingly, it was my Ethernet Controller.

I followed whatever it said to try update the driver, though it should have had already, for I have been using the computer on ADSL for over a year now. But the update didn?t workout.

And when I check the property of my Ethernet Controller in Device Manager, it said this ? ?The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)?

So I went google, (btw, I?m now using a dial up connection which doesn?t require the use of Ethernet?wishing my ADSL back of coz?), and found this article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123 . after doing what it said, I rebooted, hoping for a working Ethernet..

But, things didn?t turn out smooth, now I get the error message ? ?This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)?, which now means I have to install the driver for it.

The problem is, I don?t know where I can find the driver for my Ethernet, though I think it came with my motherboard ? Gigabyte 8I875. And after downloading the LAN driver from this page http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1715 and running the file - MSIEXEC.EXE, and rebooting. STILL isn?t fixed..

Now I?m getting very worried, please, can someone give some idea of how to fix this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet Controler Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet Controler Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Suggestions...

In reply to: Ethernet Controler Problem

I assume alot here, but correct me if I'm wrong.

During boot get into the bios area and verify the ethernet port is active or enabled, if so exit out, if not then check it or do what's required to enable.

Now, upon booting into the system, if the new h/w message appears(have your orginal system/mtrbd. CD) follow prompts. Just point to the dir. on the CD if possible by manually "browsing" to the driver section. Otherwsie, exit out and cancel the driver install. Under the same CD, run it and find whatever section allows to install the drivers, it maybe more than one or the ethernet by itself. Once done, reboot and check results. If you don't have the orginal mtrbd. CD then via thier support website for your mtrbd. or system model# proceed there. Verify, that you are getting the *right driver* for your ethernet port, otherwise, it will get confused or not install properly. If none of this seems to work, you may have a bad h/w or truly corrupted pgm/driver(improper). To get away from all this, buy another ethernet card($10-20) 10/100mb models and install, make sure to uninstall the old ethernet port and/or disable, before you install new one.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Uninstall it

In reply to: Suggestions...

from the control panel and then follow the previous post instructions with your original driver CD or download the correct driver from the mobo website and install it. Should not be an issue in the BIOS except whether you want it or not. If you don't need it you can disable it in the BIOS and it won't give you any more messages.

Collapse -
Just some tips.

In reply to: Ethernet Controler Problem

1. Microsoft doesn't have a clue about drivers. Do not rely on it's driver update or check buttons.

2. When I need to fix this issue I look to install not one driver but two. Here's what I look for.

a. Motherboard chipset support drivers.
b. Ethernet driver.

3. Where do I get these? Usually from the motherboard maker's website.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.