Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Ethernet cable splitter? - Connect 2 computers into one

by Jman787 / June 16, 2009 7:32 AM PDT

I will be visiting a friend for a little while and I need to have access to internet on my laptop. However, my friend's internet is set up that his computer is connected to the internet through an ethernet cable going into his vonage modem (which doesnt have any extra spots) which goes into his regular modem. He doesn't want me to put in a regular or wireless router. So, is there anyway for me to plug my laptop into the internet (besides disconnecting his computer while i use it)? Do they make something like an Ethernet cable splitter that I can plug both computers into and then plug that into his modem? Thanks for any advice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet cable splitter? - Connect 2 computers into one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet cable splitter? - Connect 2 computers into one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going to say no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 7:54 AM PDT

Such "splitters" are always called routers and switched hubs. The router costing about as much as some switched hubs with the advantage I could make that work everytime.

Collapse -
besides for the idea of the splitter...
by Jman787 / June 16, 2009 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going to say no.

is there any other way for me to connect to internet there?

Collapse -
Pile of cash and a broadband card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 8:01 AM PDT

The router or switched hub is cheap at 20 to so dollars.

Collapse -
about the switched hub
by Jman787 / June 16, 2009 8:06 AM PDT

Do you need to configure/set up anything if i get a switched hub and where should i put it?

right now its like this:

Computer > Vonage Modem > Internet Modem

Should I put it before or after the Vonage Modem

Collapse -
Without model numbers
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: about the switched hub

I would be guessing badly. This is why I carry a small wifi router with me on travel. I can make it do duty as a switch, a router and more.

Collapse -
(NT) ok, thanks for all you help!
by Jman787 / June 16, 2009 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Without model numbers
Collapse -
Ethernet switch hubs
by Jman787 / June 16, 2009 9:03 AM PDT

Is this what i am looking for? (also, do these need any configuration/set up?)


Collapse -
Looks ok but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Ethernet switch hubs

I have no make, model of the gear that is being "split" so while this is the right type of switch I can't tell if it will solve the problem. It might, it might not.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.