Computer Help forum

General discussion

Ethernet cable between 2 rooms violates OSHA regulations?

I'm living in an old but well maintained house that's been made into apartments. My room, in addition to having a door to the hallway, has a door to my neighbors room. We are on good terms, and have a router set up with his internet so I can also use it. I prefer to use an ethernet cable for the reliable signal (compared to wireless adapters which I've had lots of problems with), so we have one going under the door from the router in his room to the computer in my room. There is only one cable, it's 25 feet long and rests along the floor around the edge of the room.

The building manager found out about this and said something that blew my mind. "You can't have cords going from room to room, it's against OSHA regulations." This set off all the warning lights on my ******** sensors. This guy has a history of making up ridiculous, illogical, asinine things. But I thought to myself "Could it be true?"

So I started looking at the OSHA website, and have found nothing about ethernet cables, or cords going between separate rooms. It doesn't even seem to cover residences, it seems OSHA is focused on workplaces.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I really don't think ethernet cables are the least bit dangerous. It's buried under the rug, not a trip hazard. Don't think it can cause a fire... I've never heard anything about the subject of dangerous or problematic ethernet cables. I searched the OSHA site, building codes, ect and found nothing.

BS? True? Any way I can prove it's a safe setup?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet cable between 2 rooms violates OSHA regulations?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet cable between 2 rooms violates OSHA regulations?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OSHA is for workplaces

In reply to: Ethernet cable between 2 rooms violates OSHA regulations?

And that building manager is just grasping on something that sounds official enough to make it sound possible.

What he is really doing is covering his butt so that if someone gets hurt it isn't because of a cord that probably should not be there for safety reasons.

But I can understand his concern. So, instead of fighting him on this, just get the Ethernet over Powerline adapters. They are relatively cheap, I usually see a set (you need a total of two units) for about $50 when on sale.

They will put a very nice Ethernet signal riding on the AC wiring of the house. It is very high speed, (at least 11Mbps, on up to over 100Mbps) and it can be very secure. There is no set up. Just plug one at the router where you have one Ethernet cable plugging into it and it puts the Ethernet signal on your AC. One other identical unit at the 2nd location with another Ethernet cable plugged between the 2nd Powerline adapter to the computer.

Collapse -
My thought on this;

You and I know that LAN cable is not a safety hazard but can the landlord be assure that this is LAN and not a power cable. But in his mind I think it is easier to just say no (that's my guess). It is his apartment and he is the boss unless he violate your contractual right. Whether OSHA is involved is not really the issue in my mind.

Collapse -
It can be a safety hazard

In reply to: My thought on this;

Having a loose wire laying around can be a safety hazard. This is not a high voltage electrical safety hazard, but it can be a "trip on it and hurt yourself" safety hazard.

Heck, even a torn up, or tattered rug in the hall can be a safety hazard. If someone were to trip on a loose rug, you can be sure that the injured person might want to litigate, and have that manager's butt in a sling.

Collapse -
nope

In reply to: It can be a safety hazard

It's tucked out of the way, along the wall, lying flat, so it's definitely not a trip hazard.

Collapse -
And it will stay that way?

In reply to: nope

Just because a cable is not in the way today, does not mean it will stay that way. Things shift, and sometimes they become a trip hazard later.

Besides, mjkittredge already mentioned that the cable runs under a rug, and that can raise the rug just a bit to either trip a very clumsy person, or else just cause the shifting of the rug enough to cause a problem later.

When I was in the Navy we had to ensure that all fasteners were in place on all of our electronic gear, else it was considered a "missile hazard," where if an item came loose it could fly and hurt someone.

I remember one cover, that we had on a radar unit, that had perhaps over 30 screws holding down a flat cover plate. One screw was missing! Just one screw, out of about 30, and it was not even a high stress area, where something might apply force on that cover, it was a plain and simple cover. Yet, you know our ship could not get qualified as "war ready" until that cover was properly secured and no longer a missile hazard.

Collapse -
reply to chuckt and others

In reply to: My thought on this;

ChuckT, that's a good idea, I'd never heard of those devices before. If the data transfer is reliable, that would be a solution.

For the time being, I'd like to either A) prove this jerk building manager wrong, that ethernet cables are completely safe and there are no regulations against them or B) find out that he actually is correct, which I highly doubt, but I'm open to the remote possibility.

For one thing, the cable for my tv goes through my room and is clearly visible, and nothing has been said about that during room inspections. Why is one bad but not another? How does a cable traversing two room become bad?

I don't mind being proven wrong, but I'd at least like to hear a convincing argument or see some evidence.

Collapse -
Just ask him if he knows . . .

In reply to: reply to chuckt and others

what the "O" in OSHA stand for.

Collapse -
It's BS

It's BS, as others have said. BUT... It's probably not a tactically sound decision to be confrontational with the property manager. If you ever need something fixed or really just anything, they may decide to do only the minimum they're required by the terms of the lease. And they may decide to take their sweet time getting around to it as well.

While a bit expensive, the powerline option is probably your best bet. I think they might even have some capable of 100Mbps now, though they will be REALLY expensive.

Collapse -
Trip Hazard

The ONLY way that could be considered a HAZARD would be a TRIP hazard and I SERIOUSLY doubt that would be an OSHA concern, having dealt with OSHA and safety issues for years, the guy is on a power trip.

Collapse -
We Run The Cables Up The Wall, Though the Ceiling, And Down

That's exactly how most business systems are wired, using ethernet CAT5 cable, with RJ-45 jacks on each end.. As others have mentioned, it's not against OSHA even in the workplace.

I've wired households and business building's alike with such systems and when allowed, the wall drop has a nice ethernet wall plate where the computers ethernet cable can be plugged into.

As to whether you choose to do it, that's a personal decision.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.