Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Ethernet adapter for Direct TV and internet all?

by mike62 / September 17, 2008 11:58 PM PDT

I have my modem and router in the master bedroom of the house connected to our desktop that I use for my laptop computer. I have learned Direct TV has video on demand but you have to be connected to the internet.

A direct connection via cable is out of the question. I have DSL with ATT 2nd to highest speed but am afraid it might not be quite good enough to go completely wireless.

I have read the 2 unit ethernet adapter is a good fix? Is it as simple as plugging one unit in by the router and the other unit next to the DTV receiver and plugging it all in?

I also heard that this now makes ALL my outlets internet ready by simply plugging in a computer? Or would you need an adapter for each plug?

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet adapter for Direct TV and internet all?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet adapter for Direct TV and internet all?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"you need an adapter for each plug"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 12:10 AM PDT

There may be workarounds but powerline networking is expensive and has some caveats you can read about elsewhere.

Why isn't wifi a solution here?
Bob

Collapse -
Wireless might be ok?
by mike62 / September 18, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

Wireless might be sufficient. As I understand it with the Direct On Demand you will click on a show and it will begin downloading and you can view it before the complete download.

My only comparision is downloading a video or You Tube clip on the internet on my laptop and I wait while it "buffers" to watch a 90 second clip I was assuming a movie or 30 minute sitcom would be even worse. Same connection, speed, all that right?

Perhaps I am wrong but thought it might get frustrating and assumed the ethernet would be faster. It looks like a $90-$120 cost outlay which I rather avoid, however, if the wireless takes a long time then that would be frustrating as well.

What do you think?

Collapse -
Speeds
by mike62 / September 18, 2008 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless might be ok?

I have the 3.0 downstream and 512 upstream speeds.

Collapse -
And wifi speeds are more than 10 times that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Speeds

Since wifi 802.11g clocks in at 10 times or better your internet connection speed, I wondered why you thought it wasn't a candidate.
Bob

Collapse -
Where from here?
by mike62 / September 18, 2008 3:18 AM PDT

Bob,

I guess I am confused over the whole deal. I figured if I connected my receiver (somehow) to receive my wireless signal it would be at the same speeds my laptop uploads/downloads.

Any suggestions for a viable alternative? Networking all this stuff is not my strong suit. Happy

Collapse -
If you check our forum sticky note.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Where from here?

It's the top post in this forum, post 17 offers how to use a common wifi router as a WAP so you can keep your current setup if you don't want to play with replacing your router with a wifi unit.

802.11g here gets 54 megabits per second in my house. Of course if you put the router in the basement and up on the third floor you might see it not work or drop to a few megabit. But that still sounds faster than your DSL speed. So this is why I wonder why not wifi?

As to connection the other end there are a bazillion choices. I just wondered why powerline networking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance notes various speeds but all are above your DSL speed by a factor of 10 (same as wifi) so where is the deciding issue?
Bob

Collapse -
XBox Live
by XBoxer57 / February 13, 2009 2:05 AM PST

I want to hook my XBox Live up to my TV using Direct TV, is this possible?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.