Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

ethernet adapter conflicts with WLAN connectivity

by BeastOfSoda / April 5, 2009 12:31 PM PDT

greetings, i'm trying to sort out a problem. here's my setup: i have two routers, one is a VDSL router with wireless functions, which i'm using to connect to the internet, and the other one is a tabby router i'm trying to use to connect my laptop, PS3 and desktop computer. i've set the VDSL router to use the 192.168.1.* domain, and the other one uses 195.165.5.* (both with netmask 255.255.255.0), which connects the hardware in my room through ethernet cables (they're the right ones, please refrain from pointing out that i should use non-crossover cables because i already know and am already doing so).
now, here's the problem: somehow the laptop works, and the PS3 can't use the wireless card and ethernet adapter simultaneously anyway, but when ethernet is enabled on the desktop, its wi-fi connection goes off; it can reach the internal network, but somehow it can't ping anywhere past home. i tried a few things, and it appears that the part causing conflicts is the IP address protocol on the computer's ethernet card; i've tried most things, set a manual IP, let DHCP assign one automatically, even changed around the netbios settings but all to no avail. could anyone provide some useful insight about what might be going wrong here? thanks in advance for your reply.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ethernet adapter conflicts with WLAN connectivity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ethernet adapter conflicts with WLAN connectivity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, how would you decide on...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2009 1:15 PM PDT

Which DNS to use and more? It doesn't sound like a valid configuration.

Collapse -
Re: Yes, how would you decide on...
by BeastOfSoda / April 5, 2009 8:05 PM PDT

on the WLAN both the DNS and gateway are always mapped to 192.168.1.1, which works well. that leaves the ethernet adapter, for which i tried several things: i both tried mapping it to 195.165.5.1 and leaving it blank, but again to no avail. DHCP doesn't pass it the right parameters either, so i have no idea what to try next.

Collapse -
Never heard of mapping.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2009 10:02 PM PDT

No class or book ever called setting the settings "mapping." What text book are you working from?

Also, the basic numbers you provided look incorrect, invalid. Let's be clear here. I don't teach basics. I will point out such is invalid and if there is a one to three line answer I give it but in this case you are trying something invalid that should not work as you have it.

Give it time for you to read more about TCPIP, routing, and how it works. For now, use one or the other connection.
Bob

Collapse -
not the point
by BeastOfSoda / April 5, 2009 11:11 PM PDT

i'm already aware of the fact that i'm doing something wrong, that's why i'm asking. i'm not going by any book, i usually try to sort things out as i go but i find it normal to ask someone's opinion when they don't work, because long story short, streaming data to a console is simply not worth going through an entire theory book. now, since my purpose is to use both connections simultaneously switching from one to the other is out of the question (i want to make my network more versatile, after all), so if those numbers really look invalid could you please just point out what's wrong with them, or better yet suggest a possibly working IP to use? thanks.

Collapse -
I see a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2009 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: not the point

You're trying to solve a problem but rather than share the problem that needs to be solved you skipping ahead to a very expert deep knowledge area of TCPIP and more.

If you just wanted to let your PS3 connect to the internet via your wired laptop over the laptop's wifi card then I could point you to ICS and articles about ICS.

Then again there are some that want to do something without learning the underlying knowledge required. How would you respond to those?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: I see a problem.
by BeastOfSoda / April 6, 2009 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I see a problem.

i would respond that none of that matters to me, that you're not helping any and that in the future i shall turn elsewhere to ask a simple question rather than arguing with someone who is obviously more interested in spouting out wry comments about people's lack of expertise rather than giving a hand to those who know less. incidentally, none of what you said points to the fact that you know anything at all about networking: for all i know you could just be trolling and not have a clue about what needs to be done, but i don't care. i only need a simple fix, and since apparently this can't be obtained here i'll take my business elsewhere. thanks for nothing.

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2009 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: I see a problem.

I had hopes that you could share exactly what you needed to do rather than explore something very technical and likely the wrong solution.

Instead I've offended you and wish you the best.
Bob

Collapse -
setup question
by bkirby / April 6, 2009 9:30 AM PDT

I'm understanding you want to connect the second router to the DSL router? Are you looking to use the additional ports of the nonDSL router to connect other devices and have it reach the Internet?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?