Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

eSATA Maximum Speed?

by markpregen / March 15, 2008 11:14 AM PDT

Wikipedia says SATA 3.0 Gbits/s should provide speeds of 300 MBytes/sec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#SATA_3.0_Gbit.2Fs

The most I'm seeing with HD Tach (freeware benchmark program) is about 212 MBytes/sec (burst speed) for my External ACOMData 1 TB drive. Ironically, that drive claims it only supports 1.5 Gbits/sec max (or 150 MBytes/sec). Whereas my External WD MyBook Home Edition 1 TB only gets up to about 144 MBytes/sec (burst speed), and that drive says it supports 3.0 Gbits/sec max. I'm running a SATA to eSATA cable directly off my motherboard (brand new ASUS, supports SATA 3.0 Gbits/s. Anything I can do to improve my speeds? I'm running a brand new QuadCore AMD 2.2 Ghz so I don't think that's the problem (3 GB DDR2 RAM). Windows XP Pro. I'm also not running any extra software or programs in the background which might impact the benchmarks. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: eSATA Maximum Speed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: eSATA Maximum Speed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you're fine
by obobskivich / March 15, 2008 4:20 PM PDT
In reply to: eSATA Maximum Speed?

there isn't anything "robbing you of speed" here, both of those figures are great for external storage devices

the honest to god truth is that even the fancy SATAII/NCQ/16MB (or 32MB) cache drives with all of the latest features and what not

will still only sustain around 65-80MB/s throughput, just due to the physical limitation of their rotational speed and a few other factors

just because the interface specifies a certain speed, doesn't mean the device can, or has to, run at that speed

Collapse -
And, remember this. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 15, 2008 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: eSATA Maximum Speed?
Collapse -
well it isn't really lab speeds
by obobskivich / March 16, 2008 7:14 AM PDT

its the peak throughput of the bus

Wired 10/100 will run at 100 Mb/s, however a portion of it is overhead (due to how IP packets are encoded), the same is true for Gigabit, so you are actually getting a full 1000Mb/s of throughput, but only around 800-something is usable due to overhead

As far as WiFi, it depends on connection to the base station, if you've got a perfect connection, its just overhead and latency that are your problem, although you do get the full connection speed.

SATA isn't the same scenario, between SATA I and SATA II interfaces, they changed (fundamentally) nothing on the hard-drive, its the same reason "old" PATA-100 and PATA-133 will keep up with SATA I and II (assuming same aged internal technology), because its still a few platters at 7200 RPM with the same read/write equipment

the reason modern SATA II drives are faster than old PATA-100's is other advancements, like higher density per platter, more cache, NCQ, perpendicular recording, etc, but it still doesn't count for a HUGE gain (figure we've gone from ~45-50MB/s to ~65-70MB/s in ideal situations (meaning sequential access))

Collapse -
They do... ;)
by josetocadisco / March 26, 2011 6:15 AM PDT

802.11 B works @ 11 Megabits per second = 1.375 Megabytes per second.
802.11 G runs @ 54 Megabits per second = 6.75 Megabytes per second.
100/10 LAN works at 100 Megabits per second = 12.5 Megabytes per second.
and at last, Gigabit works at 1000 Megabits per second = 125 Megabytes per second.

Wink

Good Eve!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!