Question

Errot 0xc0000098 function keys also not working help

My son is getting this blue screen error after latest win update, prior to this he has had USB ports and DVD drive not functioning until PC is fully loaded so he can't interupt start up using function keys, he's also removed CMOS battery and restarted in to BIOS but as keyboard is not functioning he can't make changes before PC reverts back to error screen, any suggestions greatly appreciated, cheers.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Errot 0xc0000098 function keys also not working help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Errot 0xc0000098 function keys also not working help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Error 98
- Collapse -
Error 0xc0000098 function keys also not working help

Thanks for your reply, I have tried to start up switching keyboard to every USB port, but with no luck, I'm thinking I may have a hardware issue at this stage. best regards.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: restart into BIOS

To restart into BIOS (and to exit out of it) you need to use the keyboard. How can he do that if the keyboard doesn't work?
Moreover, it doesn't seem to be a BIOS-issue. So why would he do that?

- Collapse -
Error 0xc0000098 function keys also not working help

Yes, you are correct, I have tried to start up switching keyboard to every USB port, but with no luck, I'm thinking I may have a hardware issue at this stage. best regards.

- Collapse -
Reminds me of the NTLDR error msgs

on older windows systems, basically something wrong with the boot process.

- Collapse -
Answer
How old is this computer?

As Bob mentioned, older computers MUST use a PS/2 keyboard to enter the BIOS and turn on the USB keyboard functionality.

- Collapse -
Answer
Has he tried it with a PS2 keyboard?

I still run into older PCs that you have to plug in the PS2 keyboard in order to change the BIOS to give Legacy USB support and enable the keyboard before Windows loads.

If I google 0xc0000098 then I see ideas about commands to try but you may need to get the keyboard working in order to use these commands.

CNET Forums

Forum Info