Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error with a CD RW

I've burned data onto the CD. When now trying to open it, it's showing as audio. I've burned and opened this CD many times, and this morning is the first I've had this problem.
Has it become corrupted in some way and I've lost all my data? I've reviewed help about this, from my recorder and followed the instructions from error message, check ATAPI connection, check ATAPI Cable Master/Slave order.
Other CD's are opening fine, so it's only this one CD with the problem.

Thanks for your help,
Lee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error with a CD RW
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error with a CD RW
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Error with a CD RW

In reply to: Error with a CD RW

Ready to go crazy? NO DEFINITIVE FIX IS KNOWN FOR THIS ISSUE.

I solve it by tossing in a new CDRW and its cured, we move on. Some don't like that. I wish then well.

Read http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-37 and weep.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Error with a CD RW

I was hoping this wasn't going to be the answer, but had guessed that's what it would be. As Grif suggested, I now know that I should make a backup from now on.

Lee

Collapse -

Lee,

Can you open "My Computer", RIGHT click on the CD-RW drive icon, choose "Explore", then view the files listed there? If so, copy them to your hard drive as soon as possible and make a new CD.

Did you burn the data to a "formatted" CD-RW disk using packet writing software such as InCD? If so, then they frequently will simply stop reading correctly and become corrupted. Sometimes, reformatting them will allow them to be re-used, sometimes not. I use formatted CD-RW disks to save and transport data but I ALWAYS have backups of the backups. HOpefully, you did this.

On the other hand, if you did a standard data burn and closed the CD-RW disk after the burn, and it still is failing, then it is possible that the lifespan of the disk has simply over. Normally, you will have copied, erased, then recopied, over and over, too many times.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -

Hi Grif,
Can you open "My Computer", RIGHT click on the CD-RW drive icon, choose "Explore", then view the files listed there?
..The right click showed them as audio files (.wav).
Did you burn the data to a "formatted" CD-RW disk using packet writing software such as InCD?
..Yes. Did not create a backup disk Sad.
you will have copied, erased, then recopied, over and over, too many times.
..This CD had never been erased.

This particular CD held all of my saved Paint Shop Pro files. The last time I tried to burn onto though, I received a verification error, so I cancelled the burn and used a new one. The new one opens fine.

I guess I've learned a very important lesson and that's to make a backup copy. I'm new to "burning" and everything had been going fine until this.

Thanks for you info,
MzLee

Collapse -

1. Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

2. Please read through:

a. "The AutoRun or AutoPlay Feature Does Not Work (Q330135)."

b. "System Cannot Access CD-Rom, CD-Recorder or DVD Devices."

3. The article [Q310123] lists 33 error codes that may be reported by Device Manager and provides possible resolutions. This [TechNet] article covers up to 49.

4. The article [Q314855] warns that by default, only users who are logged on to Windows XP with Power User or Administrator rights are allowed to install software. In Windows XP, files that have an .inf extension are considered to be setup information files. As a result, the Autorun.inf file does not run if you do not have Power User or Administrator rights. Therefore, when a CD-ROM is detected, Windows XP is notified that a new volume is available and the drive is checked for an Autorun.inf file. A user who is neither a Power User nor an Administrator is prompted with an "Install Program as other user" message when the CD-ROM autorun is processed.

5. Download and use the freeware utility "AutoFix.zip" for Windows XP Autoplay, which inspects these settings and offers a repair button to allow you to reset them to mostly default settings.

Collapse -

I do apologize. I know better and should have included information that would have been helpful.
Windows ME
B's Recorder GOLD5, which came with the installation of my burner.

Lee

Collapse -

Just to check: try it in another drive on another computer. That might be able to read it, so you've got your data back. If error doesn't occur with other disks, throw away this one.

Kees

Collapse -

My other CD's are reading fine. It's just this one that I'm having a problem with.
It was a new CD, that had never been erased.
I've just starting burning and am learning as I go along. This is the first problem I've encountered though and a big one, since it had stored my Paint Shop Pro files.
I'll just start fresh and start saving again, but will be wiser this time and make a backup copy.

Lee

Collapse -
Mz. Lee, this has happened to me too,...

...which is why I have a bunch of never used CD-RW disks; I just don't trust them any more. Besides, high quality CD-R disks are just so cheap that I don't mind burning disks that I may have no further use for in a few days.

As for backups: It also helps if you have multiple copies of your backups (at least two). On my PC, I backup primarily to a second hard drive, but I also burn the backup files to CD - just in case. The extra time's minimal, and the sense of security is, as the ad goes, priceless....

Collapse -
Re: Mz. Lee, this has happened to me too,...

In reply to: Mz. Lee, this has happened to me too,...

Thanks for sharing this Paul. This particular CD I was using mainly to store graphics in that I use in Paint Shop Pro. It has never been erased either.

I've learned a valuable lesson because I lost tons of graphics that I've saved for such a long time.

Lee

Collapse -
Re: Mz. Lee, this has happened to me too,...

In reply to: Re: Mz. Lee, this has happened to me too,...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.