Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Error while burning iso to dvd r help!

by coolbgdog / November 23, 2005 2:28 AM PST

I have this iso file and its a dvd and when I try to burn it to an dvd r I get an error. I used dvd santa and I got an error. I used alcohol 120 and I got an error. Discjuggler doesnt even start burning. Nero never works for me. I always have problems when trying to burn something to dvd r sometimes. The dvd r is Phillips Dvd r
and I burn at 8x speed and the disc says 1-8x. Whats the best way I can burn an iso without getting errors. I only get this problem when burning dvd r's

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error while burning iso to dvd r help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error while burning iso to dvd r help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by thought_stazi / November 23, 2005 4:16 AM PST

Without the actual error message, it's hard to say...

Of course, the first thing you should try, is burning at a slower speed. Just because it says 8X on the label, doesn't always mean it will burn reliably at 8X. Try 6X and even 4X.

Collapse -
I'd be hopping mad too. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 4:35 AM PST

Look at how much money you've spent.

DVDSanta about 30 bucks.
alcohol 120 about 55 and up.
Discjuggler 39 and up.
Nero 39 and up.

Having spent hundreds of dollars, what has their tech support told you?

PS. I'm suspected bum video encoding, some P2P movie download or a failing drive.

Collapse -
I didnt buy those programs
by coolbgdog / November 23, 2005 5:34 AM PST

I didnt purchase them. I use the trial. I closed the error log already but in dvd santa it said some trace error. Discjuggler just keeps ejecting the dvd r. I will try to use a memorex dvd r and see what happens.

Collapse -
The movie is in dvd format
by coolbgdog / November 23, 2005 5:36 AM PST

but its in an iso. I could mount the iso with alchol 120 and play it but when I try to burn it I get an error around its 80% and the dvd r gets wasted.

Collapse -
Then I have to ask...
by thought_stazi / November 23, 2005 6:31 AM PST

Where abouts did you come across this ISO?

Collapse -
well what do you know?
by coolbgdog / November 23, 2005 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Then I have to ask...

I succesfully burned the same iso using a different dvd r at 1x speed and it worked. This disc is an memorex and its 16x but while I was burning it only allowed me to choose from 1or2x. It took 56 minutes but it worked! The other phillips dvd r is 1-8x and I burned at 8x maybe thats why. Thanks for the info anwway. The iso wasnt the problem after all.

Collapse -
About demos. What they don't tell you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 7:55 AM PST

The record speed of Nero is all of 1, maybe 2X to goad you into paying up. Also, if you have real software and see this issue consider these issues:

1. The drives firmware is out of date.
2. You can't record at full speed (too many reasons to list here.)
3. The DMA setting to the drive has fallen back to lower DMA rates or maybe even PIO. Windows XP is not good at reporting this so flip it to PIO and back.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?