Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Error when quitting word from dock

by acambr / September 17, 2009 3:13 AM PDT

I recently upgraded to snow leopard (now 10.6.1); when I try to quit word by right-clicking on its icon in the dock, I get an error message (microsoft word has encountered an error and needs to close) and then I'm asked whether I want to send an error report to microsoft, after which word restarts; I can quit word without problems by using the word menu or command-Q: the problem only happens when I try to quit from the dock

I deleted the microsoft word plist and the microsoft office plist in the preferences folder, and at first I though this had solved the problem, but it almost immediately started experiencing the same problem again

any solution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error when quitting word from dock
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error when quitting word from dock
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try removing it from the dock and
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 9:41 AM PDT

adding it back in again.

Who knows?

P

Collapse -
removing form dock
by acambr / September 18, 2009 1:53 AM PDT

well, thanks ... so far your simple trick seems to be working...

Collapse -
too good to be true
by acambr / September 18, 2009 1:12 PM PDT

well, it looked as if the simple trick of removing form the dock and installing again did work ... but unfortunately I started getting those same error messages again, i.e. if I right-click the word icon in teh dock and select Quit, Word gives the error message and restarts

Collapse -
(NT) Oh well, stop using that method to quit. :-)
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 19, 2009 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: too good to be true
Collapse -
I agree
by Mr. Gregg / September 21, 2009 11:41 PM PDT

There's more than one way to do most everything. If you like clicking to Quit, click the Menu. Or, you can use the keyboard shortcut.

Collapse -
yes, of course
by acambr / September 21, 2009 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree

I am obviously aware of the fact that there are other ways of quitting word... STILL, the fact that right-clicking on the dock icon and selecting quit results in an error is "not normal" and should be fixed; again, not a critical issue, but could point to some underlying problem
ok, that's it!

Collapse -
ok, if you're determined
by Mr. Gregg / September 22, 2009 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: yes, of course

Find this file: com.apple.dock.plist
(in your HomeFolder>Library>Preferences)
and move it to the Desktop.

Restart

Did the problem go away? If not, you can put that file back if you want, overwriting the new one that it just created.

There's also this file:
com.apple.dock.db
in that same location.

I'm not sure how safe it is to mess with that one, but my guess is it wouldn't hurt to do the same thing with it. (Both of them at the same time..)

Collapse -
Error when quitting word from dock
by crowley--2008 / January 13, 2012 2:43 AM PST

I wondered if anyone was still trying to address this since Microsoft obviously isn't. I'm on Lion 10.6.8 and the problem still exists. Kind of annoying.

Collapse -
We have the first fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2012 2:45 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?