Unknown command terminal

The distro will continue to boot and operate normally

Ubuntu forum suggest changing grub.cfg file to set gfx=640x480
This file in grub2 is current set at 640x480

How do I correct this problem?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Error when booting
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Error when booting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
So try

To set other resolution value.
It is not important at all if you do not use pure CLI interface.

- Collapse -
A guess...

Can you add more RAM to it? Newer versions of Linux if you want to use GNOME or KDE that is not enough RAM

Try Mandriva Linux and use XFCE, LXDE or Moblin. Those are lightweight and less RAM intensive.

- Collapse -
Lucid

R_Head

The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is 256 MB of memory.
The system runs fine on this old computer with 384 memory.
The errors do not effect operations but are a nuisance only.

No puns or insults intended but Mandriva and rpm are not for me.
I have tried it and numerous other distro's and it is at the bottom of my list.

Thanks for your reply and I hope you continue to help/

Ray

- Collapse -
Actually they were pretty close.

I've found today's distros to sometimes not handle the older laptop video solutions.

The clue handed you was that message. What next? Either try other distros or learn about the boot options and try other items about modes and framebuffers.
Bob

- Collapse -
do you get this error with a live CD

try to boot off a live disk and see if you still get this error. If so, it may be a hardware issue.

grub2 can get confusing as to where the values are coming from. show all files using "ls -la" in /boot and read through this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Follow on question for I& desktop system

Dear All,

Good day to you. I freely admit there has to be a short between the keyboard and seat.

The end goal is to decide if Linux with Virtual Machine (have legacy software for work) will do what I want. If yes, I reformat the HD and do a clean Linux OS install. Maybe someday if I really get into it I?ll do a Gentoo install but for now I just want to learn about Linux and am stuck at the starting gate.

I have and use Ubuntu on an old Inspiron 8000 laptop. I?d like to graduate from Ubuntu and learn some more about using Linux; perhaps using it on my desktop.

I am reading Wiley publishing?s Linux Bible and Machtelt Garrels? Introduction to Linux.

Knoppix is the preferred distribution to get running so I can do the exercises in the books. It also is supposed to offer a feature in live CD mode where I can save settings to my HD. Facilitating using those settings next time I load the live CD. Not ready to go duel boot on this system, yet. I?d like to do the exercises but?.

When loading from live CDs (DVDs) I get: Knoppix provides ?unknown architecture loading minimal shell? and does (text commands don?t seem to work ? typed directly from the books); Fedora and Ubuntu do not seem to like the graphics environment and provides polychromatic pixilated poop; and, Mandriva just sits there with a circle of stars spinning forever. Note: using the 64 compatible versions ? please see provided system specifications below.

The system was built for business use (mildly over clocked to 3 GHz when needed) and a modest graphics card. I normally have spreadsheets, databases, a few documents and legacy programs open and running at the same time as email and a browser with utility programs running in the background. I send a lot of stuff back and forth between the database and spreadsheets. I also have not been able to find a Linux equivalent to RealTemp, for now that is chalked up to my novice status. This program is active whenever I have to push the system like end of month reports.

Thank you for in advance for your time and consideration.

Regards,

DTGUSA

System Specifications
OS = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
CPU = Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860
MB = ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Monitor = LG W2252 26? LCD
BIOS = AMI 1701 5/21/2010
HD = Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000CSRTL 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
RAM = G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL
Video card = ASUS EAH5670/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
CD / DVD drive = Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
Fans = 7 (1 PS + 1 Video card + 1 CPU + & 4 case)
1x 80mm Side CoolingFan
1 x 80mm Side Cooling Fan
1 x 120mm Front Intake Fan
1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust Fan
CPU = CoolerMaster Cooler Hyper N520
PS = 500 Watts
Case = Raidmax Smilodon

- Collapse -
Error seems okay,

But if I were you, with that amount of RAM, I'd go with a distro like Xubuntu, since it has lower system requirements yet is officially recognized by Ubuntu and is based on Ubuntu, so you can use the same programs and such. Quote:

Minimum system requirements:
You need 192 MB RAM to run the Live CD or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM at install time.

To install Xubuntu, you need 2.0 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even just 12Cool MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM.

End quote

Or if you want even more performance, you could try Lubuntu or something similar. Just go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions#Ubuntu-based, and find one that says for less powerful systems or such, and it will run fine on your computer.

CNET Forums

Forum Info