HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer

by hinesjrh / February 7, 2004 10:10 AM PST

When attempting to check for any needed updates to Microsoft Office XP for Students & Teachers, I get the following error message. This update process used to work for me. I have reported the error to Microsoft, but I do not get any response.

The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.
There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.
Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support for assistance.
You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable.

Search for Office updates in the Download Catalog

Report the error to Microsoft

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer
by Josh K / February 8, 2004 10:23 PM PST

You don't state:

1. Whether you have administrator rights on the computer in question.

2. Whether you tried the suggestions provided in the error message.

Collapse -
by Eandka / February 11, 2004 5:43 AM PST

There's some discussion re this topic on MS
newsgroups (Office section). Apparently a lot
of people, including me, are having this problem.
I got the idea that MS is supposedly working on a solution. Some workarounds were suggested such as
manually downloading updates, then installing; running the updates from the temp. folder; deleting the IE cache,
checking/changing IE's security settings; deleting the
Office Update detection folder etc. etc.
These messages
were quite close to the beginning of the topics
under the Office section if you want to
check out the full details. Eandka

Collapse -
by sagaciousman / June 6, 2004 5:21 PM PDT

I have been getting the same message for months now and have been unable to fix it.Can someone out there help.Thanx,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.