General discussion

Error Tracking / Monitoring

I'm running Windows XP - SP3.

From time to time, my system has a problem and it automatically reboots. Also, a blue screen about a driver error sometimes comes up at shutdown/reboot. I can't seem to pause the screen to check into the info.

Can anyone recommend a program that runs in the background and logs such errors? I'm not looking for advice on the individual problems, just a software recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

JohnB

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Error Tracking / Monitoring
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Error Tracking / Monitoring
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Event Viewer

XP already has one called the Event Viewer.

Just go to Start > Run, type in eventvwr.msc and click OK. You can check the logs for Application and System there for any errors.

About the automatic restart on error. You can disable that. I'm not on my XP system at the moment but I know it is in the Control Panel and open the "System" applet. Look through there for the option to "Automatically restart on error" and disable that. This allows you to make note of the Blue Screen details, especially the STOP Error codes. Then turn off the machine by holding the power button in for a few seconds so you can restart it yourself.

Mark

- Collapse -
Event Viewer

Thanks for the tips, Mark.

CNET Forums

Forum Info