Storage forum

Question

error says incompatible ram, but reo says I just BIOS update

We have had a dell power edge 1300-500 server with Windows 2000 for at least 12 years. We have operated just fine with 1 stick of 256 RAM, but recently I decided to add more RAM.

The RAM stick had the following information on its lable:

d32m72s4r8v36T100.d
1B52R329E22-A6F
004 XA0661
0100-222622R

I tried to order the RAM from Dell but DELL said I would have to go elsewhere, so I went to an online memory store and gave the online chat man the above numbers, and he told me to order (3) "32x72-100MHz PC100, 168p DIMM, 3.3v, Sync, ECC, Registered" part mumber 162ms-031-D 256mb 168 pin

I added the 3 new rams sticks along side my old ram stick and when I turned the server back on I got the following message Alert, unbufferred and registered DRAM DIMMS can not be mixed. and when I checked the properites of my computer it still said only 261mb.

So I took my old ram stick out and left in the 3 new sticks..... and the dern computer wouldnt even turn on.

So I went back to the online chat man and told him I thought I ordered the wrong thing,but he said no that what I had gotten was correct and that the message was wrong. and that I just need to update my BIOS.

I do not know what to think!

1) Why did I get the message Alert, unbufferred and registered DRAM DIMMS can not be mixed if I need to update the BIOS? Why didnt I get a message that said I needed to update my BIOS?

2) Is it not possible that the error message is correct and my 3 new sticks of ram are not compatiabile with my old stick? (except that the server wouldnt even turn on if I left out my old stick and just inserted the 3 new sticks)

3) Did I buyt the correct ram sticks?

4) If I need a BIOS update, which one do I download? Its seems they are all for Windows 2003 and I have 2000.

5) Is my old ram stick (d32m72s4r8v36T100.d ....1B52R329E22-A6F ..... 004 XA0661 .... 0100-222622R) registered? non registerered? buffered or unbuffered?

6) Is the new rams stick ( "32x72-100MHz PC100, 168p DIMM, 3.3v, Sync, ECC, Registered" part mumber 162ms-031-D 256mb 168 pin) registered? non registerered? buffered or unbuffered?

Any and all help appreciated,.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: error says incompatible ram, but reo says I just BIOS update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: error says incompatible ram, but reo says I just BIOS update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
error says incompatible ram, but rep says I need BIOS update

We have had a dell power edge 1300-500 server with Windows 2000 for at least 12 years. We have operated just fine with 1 stick of 256 RAM, but recently I decided to add more RAM.

The RAM stick had the following information on its lable:

d32m72s4r8v36T100.d
1B52R329E22-A6F
004 XA0661
0100-222622R

I tried to order the RAM from Dell but DELL said I would have to go elsewhere, so I went to an online memory store and gave the online chat man the above numbers, and he told me to order (3) "32x72-100MHz PC100, 168p DIMM, 3.3v, Sync, ECC, Registered" part mumber 162ms-031-D 256mb 168 pin

I added the 3 new rams sticks along side my old ram stick and when I turned the server back on I got the following message Alert, unbufferred and registered DRAM DIMMS can not be mixed. and when I checked the properites of my computer it still said only 261mb.

So I took my old ram stick out and left in the 3 new sticks..... and the dern computer wouldnt even turn on.

So I went back to the online chat man and told him I thought I ordered the wrong thing,but he said no that what I had gotten was correct and that the message was wrong. and that I just need to update my BIOS.

I do not know what to think!

1) Why did I get the message Alert, unbufferred and registered DRAM DIMMS can not be mixed if I need to update the BIOS? Why didnt I get a message that said I needed to update my BIOS?

2) Is it not possible that the error message is correct and my 3 new sticks of ram are not compatiabile with my old stick? (except that the server wouldnt even turn on if I left out my old stick and just inserted the 3 new sticks)

3) Did I buyt the correct ram sticks?

4) If I need a BIOS update, which one do I download? Its seems they are all for Windows 2003 and I have 2000.

5) Is my old ram stick (d32m72s4r8v36T100.d ....1B52R329E22-A6F ..... 004 XA0661 .... 0100-222622R) registered? non registerered? buffered or unbuffered?

6) Is the new rams stick ( "32x72-100MHz PC100, 168p DIMM, 3.3v, Sync, ECC, Registered" part mumber 162ms-031-D 256mb 168 pin) registered? non registerered? buffered or unbuffered?

Any and all help appreciated,.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry but did you check if Crucial.com has it?

In reply to: error says incompatible ram, but reo says I just BIOS update

As to the REO that said BIOS update. If you trust them, have them do that!

Collapse -
PS. As you will discover.

In reply to: Sorry but did you check if Crucial.com has it?

RAMBUS memory is full of rules such as pairs and no mixing. It's an old technology that I fear today's techs will fail gloriously on.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.