Mac OS forum

General discussion

Error - Pop-up Message (iMac)

by granadab / March 4, 2005 1:08 AM PST

MY OS is 9.1(iMac) I have repeated error messages poping up saying."Not enough memory to open the plugin' Shockwave Flash NP-PPC'. Alloting more memory to Internet Explorer may help. How do I do that? I'm a novice,so could you baby-step me through the process.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error - Pop-up Message (iMac)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error - Pop-up Message (iMac)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Allocating Memory
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 3:30 AM PST

To allocate more memory to Internet Explorer (IE) do the following:
Open the Hard Drive and find the actual IE application. This is NOT the alias on your desk top. The icon is a Blue E. Once you have found the application, SINGLE click on it to select it. No double-clicking! Hold down the Apple Key (the one next to the keyboard) and press the "I" key. This will bring up an Info window for the application. It defaults to General Information but by clicking on the arrows at the end of that line, you can select Memory. You should then see three lines of numbers. Suggested Size, Minimum Size and Preferred Size. This last one is the one that concerns you. It is probably set to something a little above the Suggested size. Try setting it to something like 12000K and then close the window. Launch IE and go to the site that gives you the error message. If you get the error message again, quit and change the first 2 numbers to 14 and try again. Beware, you are allocating memory from a limited supply. If you only have a small amount of memory to begin with, you will not be able to allocate a large amount to IE. Check under the apple menu, About this computer, to see how much memory you have BUILT-IN. Subtract from that number, the amount that the system is using and what you have left is how much you can play with. Do not allocate ALL your available memory to IE, the system will crash.
Let us know how you get on

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
Moved Post
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: Allocating Memory

Hi MrMacFixit. I think I was guilty of not giving enough information with my first post(above-Subject) So when I wrote again and did give you more info, I haven't found an answer so I'm wondering if I may repeat and hopefully you can tell me what I should do. I had someone trying to help me before I contacted you and so when I went into my hard drive to find suggested size, etc. This is what I found. Suggested Size was:8192,Minimum size8192,Preferred Size 10240. You said to make that one 12000, but I didn't do it before I gave you this information. I do really appreciate your help and thank you for responding to my first query. Also I have
Built-in Memory 64MB,Virtual Memory 136MB used on +++, Largest Unused Block 97.4 ,MacOS9.1, MacOS ROM 7.0.1 Can you help? I would appreciate any further help you can give. Best Regards Granadab

Posted by: granadab Posted on: 03/18/2005 9:22 AM

Collapse -
Memory
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Moved Post

I'm not sure where you are posting your replies but it does not seem to be in the same place as you posted your question. I got this one from another post and moved it.
So, did you change the memory allocation for IE?
Next, you need MORE physical memory in your machine. 64 MB is NOT anywhere near enough to do much with anything. Take a look at Crucial.com or RamJet.com get the physical memory up to 128MB at least.
Your Virtual Memory is also set way to high. Go to the Memory control panel and hit the Default button. Virtual Memory should be 1MB above your physical memory. In your case, 65MB. Setting it higher will slow the machine down and cause problems.
If you are still getting the Flash error, try moving the preferred size to 17000 and see if that helps.

Let me know

P

Collapse -
That pop-up message no longer pops up!
by granadab / March 24, 2005 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Memory

Thank you so much MrMacFixit. I will go to the 2 sites you have mentioned and will address that problem of getting more physical memory. I reduced the virtual memory to 65MB and increased the preferred size to 17000 and I no longer get that pop-up message. The only one that still pops up is this one"A script error occurred. Some scripts on the affected page may not work correctly" So it asks me if I wish to continue and I click "Yes" and everything seems to work fine, even though that message keeps popping up. I did not mention that in my original query because I wanted to solve my problem with one thing at a time. Thanks again so much for your help

Collapse -
Script Error
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 24, 2005 3:35 AM PST

Glad to be able to help.
The script error thing is almost certainly due to your use of an "older" version of IE. Check to see if you are using Version 5.x If you are not, then you can download it from the M$ site, it's free, and that should just about get rid of all your error messages

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!