Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Error opening links in Outlook 2007.

by cbucolo / March 19, 2007 4:01 AM PDT

Hi ppl

Recently i've started getting error messages everytime i click on a link in an email.
It does successfully open the link but i always get the message as well and it's very frustrating.

The message displays:
'General Failure. The URL was:
(http://xxxx). The system cannot find the the file specified.'

Obviously xxxx represents whatever URL it is linked to.

Anyone have any ideas how i can fix this?

Specs
Athlon64 3200+
Geforce 6800GT
1Gb Ram
Vista Ultimate
MS Office 2007
Firefox 2.0.0.2

Many thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error opening links in Outlook 2007.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error opening links in Outlook 2007.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look up IEFIX.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 4:03 AM PDT

It notes that as one item it cures.

Bob

Collapse -
no change...
by cbucolo / March 19, 2007 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Look up IEFIX.

Hi Bob

I ran IEFix but to no avail.

It doesn't mention being compatible with Vista, maybe thats why?

Collapse -
Try setting the default browser to IE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: no change...

Sorry if that doesn't do it.

Collapse -
then i have to use IE rather than firefox??
by cbucolo / March 19, 2007 6:29 AM PDT

also this was ok before and i was still using firefox then.

Collapse -
Some find...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 6:39 AM PDT

Flipping the default back and forth to clear this up. But then again you could have google toolbar, norton (or similar) so I can't guess if something is blocking popups. It's a common issue but you'll have to tell more if the usual doesn't clear it up.

Bob

Collapse -
Definately IE vs. FF
by thedonut / March 21, 2007 3:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Some find...

I tried resetting my "Set Program Access and Defaults" to Microsoft Windows. Links launched in IE6 without an issue. Launched FF and said to make it the default browser. Tried launching the link again from Outlook and it threw the error. I've noticed that this has been happening since a Windows Update but not sure which one...

Collapse -
Watch out for any Trusted Computing patch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Definately IE vs. FF

Sorry I don't know which patch but one patch for Trusted Computing was a bomb for us.

Bob

Collapse -
Same here
by havanese_boy / March 21, 2007 4:28 AM PDT

I am having the same issue and so far nothing has worked to correct this...

Collapse -
Picture
by havanese_boy / March 21, 2007 4:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yup. So have firefox open or set it to IE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Picture

From feedback from MS support sites this is not going to be fixed. It's part of their march to trusted computing...

Bob

Collapse -
gonna have to live with it...
by cbucolo / March 21, 2007 5:05 AM PDT

so for the time being i'll bear it and hopefully something will come about that sorts this out...

Cheers ppl.

Collapse -
URL hyperlink error in Outlook 2007
by cmlevy1952 / September 24, 2007 3:55 AM PDT

I believe I have the answer. (At least it worked for me). With Firefox as the default browser and using Vista Ultimate, open Tools and go to Security, Options and then go to Security. Leave the box checked re: "suspected forgery" but add a check to "Check the Google Option."

That did it.

Two amazing things come out of this:
1. How easy it now is to obtain a fix to a computer problem.
2. How is it feasible that Firefox or IE did not fix this themselves and in a timely manner (e.g. an hour let along no fix ever). To me, that's the real story.

Collapse -
Outlook
by tireloop / September 29, 2007 2:55 AM PDT

I also get error message for Outlook but I thought it was because I did not BUY program to be installed. I have Vista and Micro Home and Student but does not include Outlook???

Collapse -
Re: Outlook error
by Kees Bakker / September 29, 2007 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook

Can you explain why you get an error message from a program that isn't included in the software you bought?
The only thing I can imagine is that you installed a pirate version. No help here then.

Kees

Collapse -
Outlook Error
by tireloop / September 29, 2007 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Outlook error

Kees,

Outlook as well as Acess was included for a trial period. Computer downloaded with Vista. I never activated(buying them).
There is a bunch quicken,Corel, other Micro programs installed as trial and I cannot get rid of them. Seems as if it is forum for free advertising. Question is to I have to have Outlook to receive or send some emails???

Collapse -
Re: Outlook
by Kees Bakker / September 29, 2007 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Error

It seems Bob (see post below) was right on track. I hope you can find a way to uninstall the demo.
If not, go and complain with the shop where you bought the machine and let them do it. It's clearly their responsibility if they deliver a machine that you can't install Office on without getting errors like this.

Things like this is why I prefer a new machine with just the OS and drivers installed. And I don't mind at all if I have to do that myself.
It's nice if the machine comes with other programs on CD, so I can decide to use them (or not) myself.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Errors with preinstalled software
by tireloop / September 30, 2007 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Outlook

Thank you for your message. I bought this at Best Buy and they have been awful to deal with. I had problems since day 1 and I took it back after 2weeks but within 30 days and they would not do anything for me. Other problems were wireless connection,strange pop ups, has crashed and have sent back to Lenovo. Geek squad has been here 4 times and I expect him 10/5. Told me this was a lemon and send it back to IBM to replace it. Do not want to loose drivers that were installed by Linkys and Micro. Since drivers installed, I have had good internet connection and wireless connections.
Spoke to very nice and helpful tech man at Microsoft and we were not able to uninstall. Told me that since preinstalled to speak to Lenovo. Buyer Beware!

Collapse -
We have power tools for this issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2007 1:30 AM PDT

After uninstalling your new Office I look to see if an uninstall is offered for the Office Demo. Some may miss it but it doesn't matter. We have this tool -> http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

After it's gone we install our new Office.

Bob

Collapse -
Wild guess. You got a new machine...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2007 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook

It has the demo version of Office installed. You install your bought version and now this happens.

-> That's a known issue and I can't explain why Microsoft set you up for a failure like this. Fix? Uninstall the demos first.

Bob

Collapse -
fix worked!
by skiboy10 / October 2, 2007 10:40 PM PDT

This fix worked for me using XP Media Center and Outlook 2007 - thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
URL hyperlink error in Outlook 2007 (fixed in Firefox)
by herbtyson / December 21, 2007 11:10 PM PST

This solution worked for me. I'm not comfortable with having 3rd party screening of URLs, so I then set it back to the default (checking against a phishing list rather than using \the Google\), and the "General failure" error stayed gone. So, apparently, just "jiggling" the setting is enough to fix it.

As to how the error started... I'm not sure, but I *think* that the problem was an outgrowth of my having installed and then retreated from Firefox 3 Beta. After discovering that the beta didn't work with a couple of key add-ins I use, I reverted to the latest non-beta version of FF. At that point, IE suddenly became my default browser, and resetting it to FF wouldn't stick. I reinstalled FF, to try to fix it, and then suddenly started getting the General failure errors. After jiggling the phishing setting, things *appear* to be back to working normally.

Collapse -
General failure. The URL was:.....
by kljaja21000 / October 11, 2007 11:21 AM PDT

Non of the solutions that I found online worked for me!
I have Vista Ultimate with Office 2007 and Firefox 2.0.0.7

So, I tried following:

1. Close all programs
2. Uninstall Firefox through Control Panel -> Uninstall a program
3. Delete Mozilla Firefox Folder from Computer -> C: drive -> Program Files
4. Perform Disk Cleanup
5. Restart Computer
6. Download and Install new Mozilla Firefox from www.mozilla.com
7. And it works Happy

It takes about 3-5 minutes to do all this and you are not playing with register keys risking to mess-up something serious!

I hope this helps to some of you!

Collapse -
Fix to subject
by Zack-Man / November 11, 2007 9:51 PM PST

I had this error using M$ Outlook 2007 that was p pre-installed on my Asus laptop. When I would click on a link from an email, It gave the error:
'General Failure. The URL was: xxx
The system cannot find the the file specified.'
Firefox still opened the link right after the error popped up. Here is a link to the solution that worked for me.

http://office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/242432/

Zack

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?