General discussion

Error on IE page but not of FF when opening new window

Hi

On this page:

http://www.mistaconference.org/2009/papers/index.php

There are many links (Bibtex..) which opens a new window. This works fine on Mozilla Firefox (vers 3.6.Cool but when you click on the same link in IE (8.0.6001.18702) I get an "Error on Page" in the status bar, and the window does not open.

I have no idea how to start tracking this problem and I'd welcome any thoughts, suggestions or solutions.

Thx

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Error on IE page but not of FF when opening new window
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Error on IE page but not of FF when opening new window
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My first thought is to check the code.

How many errors does this page have at the W3C HTML checker?

- Collapse -
Checked page at http://validator.w3.org/ (W3C HTML checker)

I tried this and it says

"Sorry! This document can not be checked."

I am not sure what to do next, as I am unsure hwo to go about checking the code, especially when it runs on FF.

- Collapse -
You could read and correct the page.

"Notes and Potential Issues" listed 2 issues with that web site.

Please apply yourself a little more.
Bob

- Collapse -
RE: You could read and correct the page

Bob

Sorry, I was mis-reading the page.

I'll investigate - thanks for the useful help/advice.

- Collapse -
When that's fixed.

Just reply to your top post with an update. I'll recheck after the fixes.
Bob

- Collapse -
Update: Still getting error on IE but not on FF

Firstly, thanks to Bob for pointing me towards the W3C HTML checker. I had never come across that service before.

It highlighted a number of errors , including that 'target="_blank' and '<ol = start...' are not vlaid XHTML 1.0 Strict.

I have got rid of these errors by either deleting or using a javascript. I have not got the page to the point where there are no errors at W3C HTML checker (just one warning).

The page still works on FF, but I still get a "Error on Page" when I try the "Bibtex.." links on IE.

As I said above, I have no idea how to track down the problem, so any more help would be appreciated.

Thx

- Collapse -
Update: Still getting error on IE but not on FF (to add...)

Sorry, should have mentioned, there is a link at the bottom of the page (to Andreas Classen web page). This works okay on IE (that is, it opens the page in a new windows, using javascript). The same technique is used on the "Bibtex ..." links, but IE reports an "Error on page".

- Collapse -
Link, comment.

CNET Forums

Forum Info