Mac OS forum

General discussion

error messages when tranfering data to thumbdrive

I have a new MacBookPro, 320HD, 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, with Snow Leopard. I have always put my thumb drive into a slot and transferred my data to the desktop so I can work on it. Only with my new computer does the following happen. After working on any files, I drag them back to the thumb drive. I keep getting the following message, "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data can't be read or written. (Error code -36). It will then create a new folder just like the one I'm transferring to the thumb drive, only without any files. I can then transfer single files to the new folder, but only if they aren't in a folder. So anything in a folder will not be transferred until a new folder is written on the thumb drive and then I have to transfer single files until everything has been moved over. Never happened before, hope someone can help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: error messages when tranfering data to thumbdrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: error messages when tranfering data to thumbdrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thumbdrive

In reply to: error messages when tranfering data to thumbdrive

How old is that drive?
What format is it in?

The new folder is created at the start of the transfer so it does not happen after the error code message.
If you only use that thumbdrive on a Mac, then consider formatting it to OS X Extended, far more stable than FAT.

Try this. Create a folder on the desktop. Open the data folder on the Thumbdrive and drag the contents into the folder on the desktop.
Should be no problem, as usual.
Now open the folder on the desktop and drag the contents onto the folder on the Thumbdrive. You should get a warning about an existing file, say replace and all the files should be transferred.

It's a work around, if it works, until you can reformat the thumbdrive.
They don't last forever.

P

Collapse -
thumbdrive problem

In reply to: Thumbdrive

Drive isn't over 4 months, it is formatted as FAT32. Tried your suggestion, same thing happened. Even tried another thumbdrive, same thing. Something I did notice, I can drag any file from my Macintosh HD onto the thumbdrive and it will copy to it. Seems like only the files that are on the thumbdrive can't be worked on and then copied back. Also I tried working on the files directly on the thumbdrive. When I hold down the OPTION key and try to drag to another folder the same thing happens. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Second Mod's suggestion

In reply to: thumbdrive problem

The same thing happened to me recently, with an 8 GB and a 16 GB drive (made in Switzerland). The problem only occurred with copying folders, not individual files, like in your case. I agree that FAT32 could be the culprit. And it does not happen on a PC. I've read that FAT32 only supports folders no more than 4 GB. After I reformatted the drive to OS X extended, everything went smoothly. Interestingly, copying FROM the thumbdrive always works and is much faster than TO it. I would now only keep the FAT formatting if I need to put it sometimes into a PC. What I did not try was erase and reformat even in FAT32. Maybe it was time...

Collapse -
thumb drive problem

In reply to: Second Mod's suggestion

Thanks for info. but the drive is only 4GB. Also, I have to have the drive formatted as FAT32 since I go back and forth from PC to Mac. I'm trying to contact Apple about the problem. Could it possibly be because of Snow Leopard?

Collapse -
interesting thought

In reply to: thumb drive problem

You might be onto something but I kind of doubt it. Anyway, if you find something from Apple, please share it with us.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.