Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Error Messages

by davehogan / April 4, 2005 7:25 PM PDT

I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2. I get a lot of error messages saying that an application needs to close. I usually click on "Send error report" and carry on working. But that is not possible in the case of "System Restore". When I click on "Send error report" or "Don't send", the application closes and I'm unable to use it. Any ideas please?
Dave

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error Messages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error Messages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dave you need to give more information
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 4, 2005 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Error Messages

Give details of your system as asked for in the "Tip:"

And then more details of what is happening. What applications are you using when this happens? What happens? What is the exact error messages.

Also, please state if you are using XP with SP2 or without, and what anti-malware programs you are using, eg which firewall, and wha anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-adware programs.

Mark

Collapse -
Error Messages ".....needs to close".
by davehogan / April 5, 2005 2:20 AM PDT

OK Mark, I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2, 512 Mbs RAM, 1 Ghz AMD Athlon Processor and 120 Gbs Hard Drive. I use etrust EZ Antivirus and Firewall, Ad-Aware and SpyBot. The error message appears at any time, headed with the application that I'm working on. Like, Windows Media Player Application. This is followed by the message: "Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry etc... I then usually click "Send error report" and carry on working with the appn. "System Restore" is different. After I click on "Send error report" or " Don't send", the application closes and I can't use it. I would like to get rid of this problem altogether, but, naturally, it's "System Restore" that I'm most concerned about because I can't use it.
Dave

Collapse -
Re: Error Messages ".....needs to close".
by Tufenuf / April 5, 2005 3:21 AM PDT

Dave, Go to the link below and under the letter "S" scroll down to "System Restore" where you'll find links for System Restore problems. Hopefully one of the links will have a solution for your problem.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Error Messages ".....needs to close".
by davehogan / April 5, 2005 7:20 AM PDT

No luck, Tufenuf. Thanks anyway.
Dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.