error messages

by Justeau / May 30, 2004 1:54 AM PDT

error messages:
spool32 error in KERNEL32.dll
no printer port found

other issues:
win.ini does not come up in search.
no com3 or com4 showing in system.

I'm trying to install a printer (USB port) hp officejet 5500. Printer box in control panel shows no printer, but when I try to install it sez it's already installed.(the files are in temp file)
what do I do now?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: error messages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: error messages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:error messages (no WIN.INI)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2004 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: error messages
Collapse -
Re:Re:error messages (no WIN.INI)
by Justeau / May 31, 2004 1:45 AM PDT

thanks, still getting "spool32" error and "no printer ports found" any suggestions?

Collapse -
Tell what was done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2004 2:17 AM PDT

While you did write "Thanks", there is no indication of what's been done. I'm blind here, so you have to write gritty details about every step you take.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Tell what was done.
by Justeau / May 31, 2004 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell what was done.

I got instructions from sugested site and:
went to start..run..typed msconfig.. hit ok
clicked startup tab and unchecked statemgr..apply ..ok
restart
start..run..typed msconfig..ok
extractfile...typed Win.ini in specify box..start
restore from ..typed C:\windows\options\install\CAB
Got response: file was not found
went to browse found C:\windows\options\install

Install[1file folder] and CABS [a different file folder] both under options, both empty as far as I could tell.

I tried again using browse and each separate folder, same response. I even tried C:\windows\options

any suggestions?

Collapse -
So no WIN.INI?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2004 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Tell what was done.

I hope you see that we lost a few days on this one.

You need a WIN.INI. Or if you have one, share what's in it. Here's an example on how to restore WIN.INI (it's the same as ME), but you may have to install the printer driver again and other items. May beat having to re-install the OS.

In closing. System Restore could restore an older Win.ini from when it worked, but SR is "unreliable" too.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/w/winini.htm notes how to restore an older copy. (Read the article, then go to the next link.)

Bob

Collapse -
Re:So no WIN.INI?
by Justeau / June 1, 2004 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: So no WIN.INI?

had to make a cemetary run.

System restore is not working.

How can I be absolutely sure there is no Win.ini file?

Collapse -
Re:Re:So no WIN.INI?
by Justeau / June 1, 2004 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:So no WIN.INI?

I went into winfile (icon like a file cabinet) found win.ini (icon like sheet of paper with corner turned down) also found win.bak, win.--- and win.com (this will get me to the dos prompt)

None of these files come up through start\search\for files or folders. how come?

Collapse -
It's "Explorer."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2004 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:So no WIN.INI?

One of my (repeated) lamentations is that Explorer is NOT a file or directory browser. It's something else. Winfile, for better or worse, even with its limitations at least didn't hide files (unless marked hidden.)

This is why I use command line tools still.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.