Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error Message Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging

by radix22 / February 26, 2007 9:29 PM PST

Hello, I am newbie at computers so any help is much appreciated

I have a Dell 9100 laptop ? I will post the specifications up later if that will help

Anyway recently for no particular reason whenever I turn my computer on I get this message at start up

Error Message Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small files

I have followed the advice on Microsoft?s website??Performance Settings and Change Virtual Memory??but to no avail the message still comes up when I boot up my computer

But one worrying fact that has emerged is that my 60gb hard drive is only half full but yet when ever I turn my computer on?I believe virtual memory keeps being dumped on it as it tells me when I right click my computer that I have only a few gb left on my hard drive

If anyone can shed any light on my problem I would be eternally greatful

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error Message Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error Message Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Information Please...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 1:20 AM PST

It appears like you're using Windows XP but are you? Which Service Pack?

In the meantime, have you seen the articles below?

And how do you "know" the hard drive is only half full if you're "right click on My Computer" shows differently? Please try a overall disk cleanup using the instructions below:

Shut down unnecessary start up programs and services, PLUS delete all the junk files from the computer. It may take a while to perform all the procedures, but it should help your overall issue.:

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance tab in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Because the links for the "Services" are no longer functioning in the link above, use this one:

Services Guide For Windows XP

Now clean out the junk files:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Since you're probably using Service Pack 2 on Windows XP, use the instructions in this link to tidy up a little more:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Virtual Memory
by scoolio / February 27, 2007 2:34 AM PST

Are you letting Windows manage your virtual memory or are you managing it yourself. I'm guessing that you've set limits on how virtual memory is used and allocated and window is hurting you for it.

Switch it over to let Windows manage my virtual memory and reboot your PC. Then see if it gets worse or better.

Collapse -
more help please
by radix22 / February 27, 2007 10:33 PM PST

Thanks for the quick responses it?s much appreciated!

First off sorry that my descriptions are so vague its just my computer is not connected to the internet, so I use a friends to access the internet and I can?t remember all the specification details

Well I have XP Professional pre installed on my laptop and as it?s not been on the internet + I have not upgraded to any service packs. I have had this computer for 2 years without any problem, so it?s a mystery to me why it only now wants to play up

I do know that my hard drive was only half full of its 60 GB hard drive as I right clicked my computer only the other week and that?s what all the information told me

I have also cleaned out recycle bines, etc

It appears that whenever I reboot my computer it takes a few more GB off my hard drive (I found this out by every time I turn my computer on I right click my computer and check the storage details)

Also I have followed the advice on Microsoft?s website about adjusting the paging file system?I have let windows manage my virtual memory but with no luck plus I have also put in the appropriate configuration in myself but to no avail

There is also a button which says to have ?no paging file? I was contemplating attempting that but I wasn?t sure if that would be a good idea?

Any more suggestions would be extremely useful and I would be forever in your debt

Kind Regards

Collapse -
Install Service Pack 2...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: more help please

Service Pack 2 has a number of "fixes" in it that should help your computer... Here's how it could be done..

First, follow the instructions for cleaning up your computer that I posted earlier. It may take a while but it's necessary to cleanup the machine, remove unnecessary files and startup programs and to check the disk for errors. You might also reduce the amount of space that System Restore is using by RIGHT clicking on "My Computer", choose "Properties", then "System Restore" tab, then move the slider to something lower, like half way..

Next, on a computer with broadband internet access and a CD burner, download the full SP2 installer from the link below, then burn it to a CD. (It's a large file, 266 MB, so you'll need a fast internet connection.)

Once that's done, read the information in the link below to prepare your computer for SP2 installation..

Preparing Your Windows XP Computer For SP2

Then install SP2.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Let's keep it simple...
by Edward ODaniel / February 28, 2007 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: more help please

Open Windows Explorer and right click on the C:\ drive (or whatever drive your paging file is set for).

Select Properties then select the Security tab.

Now click the Permissions button and tell us what it says as far as who has full control.

Collapse -
by scoolio / March 1, 2007 7:47 AM PST

You can also run the built in Windows Disk Cleanup utility.

You don't have to clean anything but it does give you a nice easy to read list of how large different things are.

Caution on next step!!!!

I use a program called WINDIRSTAT to visually identify the size of different things on my drive.

DO NOT DELETE anything based on what you see in WINDIRSTAT. You might freak out on really large and important files like the pagefile, hibernation file,etc.

This utility will make it easy to get a visual understanding of how large various things are on your computer and if you have a relatively empty hard drive 50% at normal load then overnight you have a nearly full drive it might be really easy to locate large files that materialize overnight.

Collapse -
Interesting but...
by Edward ODaniel / March 2, 2007 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Start>Run>Cleanmgr.exe

you should really make an effort to reply DIRECTLY to the person with the problem rather than simply replying to someone else who has addressed their problem.

That is because quite often the person with the problem doesn't read your post because it isn't to them and they decide it isn't intended for them.

Keep up the help, but PLEASE address your posts to the proper person for most effect.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?