Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error message when opening shortcuts to programs

When i try to open a shortcut to a game, word, windows media player, paint or any other program like that, it comes up with an error message saying, "the file does not have a program associated with it for peforming this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." (however, if i open a word FILE, it opens word without any problems. i have also tried opening it from the program folder, which didnt work...) i havent tried this because i dont know how. I had been on the computor in the morning and was playing battlefield 2 demo. it wouldnt load my account to go online so i turned off the computor using the 8-10 second hold down (i usually do this when things like this happen with no concequence) because it wouldnt minimize, and the task manager wouldnt come up. one more thing, is that the computer had 11 viruses on it that havent really done anything except slow my computer down in the past.

please help! im thinking of doing a system rebuild but itl take ages to install everything again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error message when opening shortcuts to programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error message when opening shortcuts to programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
URGENTLY NEED HELP

In reply to: Error message when opening shortcuts to programs

i just realised that i could be running without a firewall or any protection against viruses etc. from the internet. meaning i really need to get some help before anything decides to just waltz into my computer...

Collapse -
Re: URGENTLY NEED HELP

In reply to: URGENTLY NEED HELP

Iced_tea, For the shortcut problem go to the link below and download the "LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix" which is a zip file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
ok

In reply to: Re: URGENTLY NEED HELP

are you sure this is what i need to do? i dont wanna ****** it up even more...i forgot to say that i cant even install or uninstall programs...does that change things?

Collapse -
Re: ok

In reply to: ok

Iced_tea, I'm assuming you're using Windows XP and that fix in my previous reply won't mess anything up more than it is. Sounds like you have more than shortcut problems.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
new information

In reply to: Re: ok

i just looked at the event viewer for the exact time i turned off the computor after battlefield 2 was taking too long to load

Type - source - category -
error - application hang - (101) -

Description: Hanging application BF2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

BF 2 being battlefield 2. any ideas anyone?

Collapse -
Re: new information

In reply to: new information

Collapse -
nope

In reply to: Re: new information

this is bad, it comes up with the same error message when i try to open that.

Collapse -
Re: nope

In reply to: nope

Can you access regedit? Start>Run then type in: regedit
click OK

Post back

Tufenuf

Collapse -
no

In reply to: Re: nope

it doesnt come up with the usual error message, but it doesnt know what program to open it up with. (select a program from a list or go on the web to find out) thats pretty bad isnt it?

Collapse -
Re: no

In reply to: no

Do the following: Go to the link below and scroll down to Line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk somewhere you can easily find it as we'll need it later.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

After you do that press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. If regedit opens click on File, click on Import then browse to find that file you just downloaded and saved from the Kelly's Kormer site and left click once on it to hilite it then click the Open button. Hopefully it will correct the exe and lnk file associations.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
IT WORKED!

In reply to: Re: no

I LOVE YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH! (it worked) im about to run an ad aware scan etc. to see if malware caused it somehow, but yeah thanks so much!

Collapse -
ok thanks

In reply to: IT WORKED!

also thanks for staying and helping me solve this! hope i can return the favour someday.

Collapse -
Re: IT WORKED!

Iced_tea, Good job and glad it worked. Yes, usually that type problem is caused by a virus/trojan or malware. Run Ad-aware and also update your virus definitions and run a full virus scan.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
ok its been a while

im afraid its still doing the same thing, when i put in the fix, it works. when i turn or log off, its back to erroe messages. so i end up having to put it in every time i turn on the computor. by the way, if i put in say a game cd, the auto run seems to work...any ideas?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.