Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Error message when log on screen appears

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. My PC crashed yesterday and upon rebooting I recieved the following "error message when the log on screen appeared. Once I logged on I did some digging and found that it had "Disabled" all of the Services in the Administrative Tools section.

svchost.exe - Application error:
The intruction at "0x7c918fea" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The memory could not be "written".
Click OK to terminate the program

I have "Googled this error message and there were many different pages with advice on what to do. I have done quite a few of them and have had no luck in resolving my problem what so ever. It doesn't seem to keep any applications from running or slow the old machine down, it is just a one click annoyance.
Would appreciate any help with this minor annoyance.
Thank you.

SONY VAIO PCV-RX650 P-4
WinXP_SP2
80GB HD with approx. 60GB free space
ATI Radeon 9250 GPU with 256MB Ram
1GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
IE 6

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error message when log on screen appears
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error message when log on screen appears
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: Error message when log on screen appears

You don't mention what you HAVE "tried."

Have you updated and run anti-virus and anti-spyware scans? If any virus or spy ware is found you should repair, remove or quarantine it then immediately delete all backups such as System Restore points. Right Click on My Computer > left click on Properties > System Restore tab > Place a check beside "Turn of System Restore...." > and click Apply. Then remove the check and click Apply to turn SR back on.

Have you run the system file checker. Start > Run > type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Note that there is a space typed between sfc and /scannow. Then click OK and follow the prompts. You may be asked to insert the XP cd. If you do not have the cd and you are presented with a path dialog window, type in "C:\WINDOWS\I386" without the quotes and click OK.

Hope something here is of help,

Charlie

Collapse -
Error Message

In reply to: Error message when log on screen appears

Would you happen to have another PC,laptop at your disposal? One that is running correctly without any system errors, hang-ups etc? If so, after running the Anti-Virus, Spyware programs and the "sfc /scannow" from the Run command as Charlie mentioned in his reply and your system checks out try this.
Using another PC that is error free open up Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Services and use the settings from that PC's Services section to enable-start/disable your settings that are all screwed up. When you double-click on a service it will bring up a properties box that is where you will have to make a service Automatic/Manual/Disabled and either start or stop the service.
Then try the following for future problems that may arise.

1) On the Action menu, click Export List.
2) In the Export List dialog box, enter the following information:
a)In Save in, click a location to save the file.
b) In File name, type a name for the file.
c) In Save as type, click a file format in the list.

To export only certain rows, select the Save Only Selected Rows check box.
3) Click Save.
Just remember to create a folder, name it and save it where you will be able to get to it later.
Hope it helps

caktus

Collapse -
I think you got it!

In reply to: Error Message

Themadczech, Charlie,
I appreciate your input very much. I forgot to tell you I had run Anti-V, Anti-Spyware programs along with the sfc /scannow command.
Whatever it did to the PC when it crashed also disabled my modem which I do not use and the Telephony services in the Administrative Tools section. I got a neighbor to let me open up his, well he opened up his Administrator Tools\Services and I set my configuration to match his.
Rebooted and the "Error message" is gone.
Opened up certain key software that I regularly use and some other programs, rebooted several times over the last few hours and the Antique seems to be her old self again.
I would like to thank both "Themadczech and Charlie" for helping me out with this. If I could meet you I would really like to shake your hands and by you a beer.
Once again, Thank

Please consider this post closed

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you got it worked out.

In reply to: I think you got it!

Collapse -
RE: Export List

In reply to: Error Message

I never even knew about that option. Very handy. Glad you posted that.

Charlie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.