Computer Help forum

Question

Error message using Toshiba 500GB hard drive

by coeurdalene / August 23, 2013 10:19 AM PDT

I am using XPPro and saved files on the Toshiba 500 GB external hard drive. Haven't used it for awhile. When I plug the Toshiba into the USB, the data all loads onto my computer but after a short while,the message (Windows Explorer has just encountered a problem and needs to close. I have to use Ctl Alt delete to get out of it. I've shut down the computer, I've used the USB's on the laptop and on the hub, but still have the same results. I connected the Toshiba to another computer and it works with no problem, so it has to be something regarding my computer. Do you have suggestions to remedy this? Thank you. Coeur d Alene

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error message using Toshiba 500GB hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error message using Toshiba 500GB hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Do you have all the XP updates installed?
by wpgwpg / August 23, 2013 10:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Updates installed?
by coeurdalene / August 23, 2013 4:15 PM PDT

I don't know if the updates are installed. The computer automatically does updates. I'm not exactly a techie to say the very least.
Coeurdalene

Collapse -
Here's how to check
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Updates installed?

To see what service packs are installed, click Start then right-click My Computer, then click Properties. You should see where it says something like "Windows XP Professional - SP1 or SP2 or SP3". If you're not at SP3, that's the first thing you need to fix.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not unusual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2013 10:23 AM PDT

For one XP can't deal with drives over 127GB (I can grind this more finely if you wish) but I have folk that install XP and then can't access their old drive. They had forgotten to install all the drivers and service packs. I don't recall the exact point where >127GB drives are supported but "XP" is not one of them.

I read your post twice and can't tell much about the PC. If it's a laptop we must be on AC power. And even then I've pulled out my Y USB Power cable and that helped. But as presented, XP is a problem.
Bob

Collapse -
XP and Large External Drives?
by Schokers / August 23, 2013 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Not unusual.

Bob -my computer runs with Windows XP Pro SP3. I was intrigued by your comment that XP can't deal with external drives over 127 GB. I have a 500 GB Buffalo USB drive and an 300 GB Imation Firewire drive and they both work fine on my computer. In fact , I use them alternately to backup (clone) my computer using True Image on a regular schedule.

Collapse -
No intrigue at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2013 12:48 PM PDT

The 127GB issue is well documented and was corrected in a later service pack. When folk post they run XP, we believe them and have to check.

Collapse -
127 GB Limit Documented Below
by mchainmchain / August 24, 2013 4:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bob, I've got a 1 TB & a 2 TB external w/XP
by wpgwpg / August 23, 2013 12:00 PM PDT

Like Schokers, I've got external hard drives much bigger than 127 GB working with XP SP3. On one PC I have a 1 TB and a 2 TB, and on the other one I have a 500 GB external hard drive. My foggy recollection is that the 127 GB limit was in the BIOS, but maybe we needed one of the XP service packs as well. Anyway that's why I asked the OP if they had all the XP maintenance installed.

Collapse -
That's different
by Jimmy Greystone / August 23, 2013 12:18 PM PDT

That's different. The BIOS limitation was one where the BIOS couldn't boot the computer if the boot sector was beyond ~120GB or so. Which really only would affect people trying to dual boot. XP itself, one must remember, came out in 2002, and was in development for a couple years before that. So you're really looking at more like what the state of HDDs was back circa 2000 for what the XP developers were generally targeting. Back then, 20-40GB drives were about as big as it got. People very often forget just how old XP is and how much has changed since then. There were no dual core CPUs, let alone quad, 1GB of RAM was considered more than enough and all kinds of other things.

I think, though someone would have to double check, that it was SP1 that included support for drives over 127GB. Maybe it was SP2, but it was definitely before SP3. Of course that only was a limitation for the XP installer, it wouldn't affect the system once it booted. Really not worth getting that deep into the weeds. Anyone who cares to know why can research it on their own.

Collapse -
by coeurdalene / August 24, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

This is a Dell Ispiron 1520 Laptop on AC power. I've tried differet USB ports and the stored items load but then everythinng freezes and I get the error message. However, when I plugged it into my old Inspiron 1400 which I no longer use, the external hardrive loaded and stayed functioning. Thanks
coeurdalene

Collapse -
Time to try the old ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2013 3:17 AM PDT

Boot up a Live CD such as Puppy Linux or DVD like Ubuntu. These are Live OSes with no need to learn or install them. This is a hardware test to see if the hardware works in another OS without touching the installed OS.

Remember we only know what is told and can't guess if the owner installed drivers from Microsoft (a common source of driver troubles) or if they read that bad advice about changing the USB legacy setting in the BIOS.

A lot of posts were expended learning which XP it was as it matters. XP is one thing, XP with SP3 is another.
Bob

Collapse -
by coeurdalene / August 24, 2013 4:30 AM PDT

Well, I have no idea what and where Puppy Linux is or Ubuntu for starters. I've never installed drivers of any type. The computer is as was when I purchased it years ago except for automatic updates. I went to Add and Remove and it shows windows service pack 3. Is that good or bad? Thank you.

coeurdalene

Collapse -
That's good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2013 5:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Toshiba External Drive now running.
by coeurdalene / September 8, 2013 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: That's good.

I have been gone,but thank all of you who tried to help me with my error issue. For some unknown reason the external drive is now working without my doing anything. Thank you. coeurdalene

Collapse -
SP3 is GOOD, means u at least have the right Windows softwe
by wpgwpg / August 24, 2013 12:28 PM PDT

So now we can move on to testing other things like Bob has suggested.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.