Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error message re Acrobat IEHelper

by Ray Harinec / August 13, 2005 2:00 AM PDT

On my XP system. Using Acrobat 7.0 Reader.

Once or twice a day when exiting the forums [maybe because I am at the forums most of the time, could happen elsewhere], I get an application error.
Titled: Acrobat IEHelper: IEXPLORE.EXE - Application error

Inside the text box: The instruction at "0x01deca87" referenced memory at "0x01deca87". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

If I do CAD, highlight Acrobat IEHelper and right click and go to process it shows crss.exe a system file, size 4,120 K.

When I click terminate it is removed from the running list.

I find nothing in Adobe about an IEHelper.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error message re Acrobat IEHelper
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error message re Acrobat IEHelper
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You tried updating?
by Yew / August 13, 2005 3:02 AM PDT

First of all, for security reasons, you shouldn't be using IE any more than is absolutely necessary. Use something like Firefox or Opera instead.

After that, have you tried updating Acrobat Reader to 7.0.2 yet? It may or may not solve the problem, but it's a good first step.

Collapse -
OK, thanx but
by Ray Harinec / August 13, 2005 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: You tried updating?

I'll stick with IE. Fire Fox is getting attacked now almost as frequently. Just that they don't report it, simply release updated versions. [BTW I am very famiilar with the fact that you push fire fox in every post. LOL]

Really kinda kidding. I am such a low power user and go nowhere, have three names in my email address book, don't open attachments et al. Simply not worth a change.

I'm very, very old and can't stand change. LOL

I will, however update Reader. Thanks again.

Collapse -
No it's not
by Yew / August 13, 2005 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, thanx but

There are very few actual exploits "in the wild" for Firefox. Can't say the same for IE. Partly because the cross-platform nature of Firefox works to its advantage. You could write an exploit that targeted Windows machines, but it probably wouldn't work on Mac and *nix users without some additional work.

But, there are also concerns about IE's munging of webpages, lack of support for international standards, and the derth of useful features that won't be showing up until IE7, like tabbed browsing, if then... Which may or may not ever be released for XP. It certainly won't be released for any other OS aside from Vista.

Still, I'm obviously not able to make you do anything... Just suggesting that Firefox or Opera would probably be worth the effort to adjust to for many reasons. And honestly, all browsers today work more or less the same way from the user's perspective. It's just a matter of the appearence of navigational buttons and features such as tabbed browsing.

Collapse -
Agree in one area, questionon other.
by Ray Harinec / August 13, 2005 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No it's not

Agree about poor MS support for CSS etc.

What is so great about tabbed browsing? With Windows, if I minimize a site, it appears along the top and I can simply click on that and it comes back. Ain't that exactly the same as tabbed browsing????

Collapse -
Ray, Acrobat IEHelper...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 13, 2005 12:26 PM PDT

Adobe Acrobat usually installs a BHO (Browser Helper Object) which works with IE. The BHO appears to be incorrectly addressing memory, particularly at shutdown, resulting in the error reported as being in IE.

The 7.02 update helped fix some of these issues, but after installing the update, if the problem isn't fixed, then you might try to eliminate the BHO and remove the "Start Up" link for Acrobat Reader.

The Start Up link can be removed by clicking on Start-Programs-Start Up, then deleting the "Acrobat Reader Quicklaunch" link there.

To eliminate the BHO, you can use HijackThis to find the object, then remove it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanx, Grif
by Ray Harinec / August 13, 2005 12:30 PM PDT

Updated already, so I'll give a little time to see it that fixed it.

Collapse -
The update did not fix it.
by Ray Harinec / August 14, 2005 2:45 AM PDT

So I'll remove from startup. Further problems I'll go the hijack route.

Thanx again. I see that you are from Southern Cal, Just think, as an adult I lived in Anaheim when they built Disneyland, makes me rather old. LOL

Collapse -
Ray, I Was One Year Old When Disneyland Opened...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 14, 2005 1:31 PM PDT

...so I'm not "quite" so old... Wink

Keep us up to date as to the results of your IEHelper error.

Grif

Collapse -
RE: BHO
by Cursorcowboy / August 14, 2005 9:26 PM PDT

1. Three links for your reading pleasure:

a. "Browser Helper Objects: The Browser the Way You Want It?

b. "What is a Browser Helper Object?."

c. "BHODemon" that can be downloaded may assist with your situation perhaps.

2. "Itty Bitty Process Manager (IBProcMan)" - a ZIP file download and requires no installation:

I've been seeing more and more cases of infections by trojans that kill any antivirus or antispyware programs you try to use and remove them. For such cases, I created a standalone version of the 'Itty Bitty Process Manager' inside HijackThis. It should be a bit harder for trojans to detect, since it has no window caption. If they do start targeting it by filename, rename the executable before running it and you should be good to go.

A standalone version of the little process manager included in HijackThis (Misc Tools section). Shows full paths to processes, optionally shows DLLs loaded by processes. Can save the process list (and dll list) to file, as well as copy it to the clipboard. Compatible with at least Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP and newer.

Very useful for cleaning up systems infected with trojans or viruses that kill antivirus and antispyware programs.

Collapse -
I had this, too
by MidlandMoll / August 20, 2005 8:50 PM PDT

I had exactly the same problem. I think it was caused by my using an old version of the conversion programme solid converter. Anyway, I removed solid converter and the problem seems to have gone away.

Collapse -
worked.. thanks.
by nicomass / September 4, 2005 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I had this, too

thanks to your tip, problem solved.

removed solid converter PDF and no more errors when exiting internet explorer.

this is a new laptop (not even 24 hours old) so i know it wasn't spyware, adaware, virus, registry, etc.

PS. loving the HP dv1000

Collapse -
Acrobat IEHelper:iexplore.exe - Application Error
by judyattcs / September 12, 2005 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: worked.. thanks.

I have same problem too. Where do I find solid converter PDF?

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / September 12, 2005 9:26 PM PDT

Most programs and utilities installed are identified in the Add/Remove Programs list, but not always. I bet it could have been found using Google. See: http://www.soliddwg.com/download.htm

Collapse -
Judy, If You Don't Already Have Solid Converter ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 13, 2005 2:53 AM PDT

...on the machine, then obviously, removing it from the computer won't help you fix your issue. Midlandmoll found that uninstalling Solid Converter from the machine fixed the issue..IF you have the program, you'll be able to remove it by going to the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?