Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

error message opening windowsXP

by billstott / May 3, 2007 10:57 AM PDT

I have a HP with most of the peripherals and Windows xp. It is about two years or older. It came with windowsxp loaded, no disk. I backed up the operating system, about 7 disks.

Now it will not open, an error message pops up, leaving me high and helpless. It says "a problem is preventing windows frrom accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code:0x80090019." When I hit OK, it goes to Welcome buterfly owner.

From there I am helpless. I searched, but everything seems to point to pass word? What is Sticky Post?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: error message opening windowsXP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: error message opening windowsXP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
billstott
by tomron / May 3, 2007 11:06 AM PDT

This LINK helped someone with the same issue.

Check the first post in this forum,this is a sticky post,a permanent post.

Tom

Collapse -
That's a bad sign. Try this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 11:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks tomron.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 11:10 AM PDT

I found the same link and was composing but you beat me to it. I still think it's a bit tricky of a fix that requires we have a backup.

Bob

Collapse -
windows xp will not open error lisence
by billstott / May 16, 2007 4:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks tomron.

I do not understand your message, refering me to the firstpost, I am the first post. Your newer system confuses me.

Bill Stott

You or Bob refered me to Microsoft and it worked, tricky, but now my desktop Icons nor the webpages in my email do not work.

thanks

Collapse -
Sticky posts
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 16, 2007 8:30 PM PDT

In your first post in this discussion you asked, "What is a sticky post?"

Sticky posts are the first post(s) in a forum, eg in the Windows XP forum this is a sticky post. Tomron was replying to your question.

It stays at the top of the listing in the forum. Not all forums have them.

Tell us more about your desktop icons and web pages in your email do not work. What happens? Any error messages?

Mark

Collapse -
windows xp will not open error license
by billstott / May 19, 2007 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Sticky posts

This becomes very interesting. My desktop icons, which I have numerous, most will not open. If I wait a few minutes an error message telling me my address is incorrect pops up this frees the compute from it's temporary hang-up.

When the email referes me to a web page, it just does not happen, nothing.

Microsoft with the butterfly opens, along with Google world views,
and a few more, but not many. Some of the ones not an internet connection do work. My favorites in MSN work fine as well as it's links.

I find I can eventually bring up every thing, but it is a round about way.

This brings me to think maybe this is an HP computer operation system problem.

The webpage your people sent me to at Microsoft did wonders to get me to open to my desktop in the first place, but sent me instructions with lots of back up, mail to him and lots of fine point, so am looking for a easier way. Too much, and I eventually punch wrong, and screw things up.

Hope this has been helpful and I thank you.

Bill Stott

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?