Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

error message "local area network cable unplugged" running

by leslie1125 / May 30, 2010 1:16 AM PDT

I have a HP Pavillion tx 2000 CTO Entertainment tablet PC, running Windows Vista. My internet connection is wireless through Verizon DSL. I was online going onto a new page when all of the sudden the connection was lost. The taskbar has a red "x" through the connection icon.
What I have done:
Under Device Manager, there is nothing flagged. Everything appears to be working fine.
The LAC icon is showng "network cable unplugged". I disabled and then enabled it.
The wireless network connection icon is not there.
I downloaded updates from HP - BIOS, Network and Internet updates.
Turned off the router and back on again.
Shut my laptop down and restarted.
Hooked up an Ethernet cable to my laptop which connected me to my network, but on disconnecting it the error message came back.

My other computers have no problems.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: error message "local area network cable unplugged" running
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: error message "local area network cable unplugged" running
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
other info
by leslie1125 / May 30, 2010 1:33 AM PDT

I forgot to mention that my network has been working fine for years. This just happened last night. My laptop is only 2 1/2 years old.

Collapse -
"Hooked up an Ethernet cable to my laptop which connected me
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 1:37 AM PDT

"Hooked up an Ethernet cable to my laptop which connected me to my network, but on disconnecting it the error message came back."

Which is proper.

However the wireless card on this model is a known failure items around the shops. While we know this, the average consumer will want you to test it and more. The shops I deal with no longer will swap in a good card for 2 reasons.

1. It just fails again later.
2. A nasty consumer claimed the shop card was theirs and even when I suggested letting them have and not charging them a dime they wanted to begin litigating for lost time and more.

That was the end of the "nice to demo it days."

So here's my advice. Restore to the factory image and if it's like the hundreds of others the wifi should still fail. And if you think it's the driver then why did it work with the factory load?

And be sure you pressed the wifi on/off button.
Bob

Collapse -
"error message "local area network cable unplugged""

Thanx for the quick reply. I'm not surprised to learn about the faulty card. I have had other issues that should not be occurring with a laptop that is not that old (CD/DVD drive doesn't read discs, keys falling off keyboard). I only guessed at the driver because I'm trying all avenues. I even tried Restore to an earlier date knowing that it wouldn't work. I'd hate to put the money out to fix it if it's only going to continue to give me headaches. Unfortunately, the tablet pc works really well for my needs at the moment.

Thanx again!

Collapse -
To limp along.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 4:25 AM PDT

A friend has a similar model. After not believing this and losing a month but avoiding shop counters they finally caved. I loaned them a wifi card (PC-CARD not internal) and it came back alive. But they couldn't live without trying the internal. They called saying it worked and within a hour it stopped working. This went on for another month with me just waiting for them to get over it.

Finally they had enough and to make the machine a little cooler and sidestep the other problem with this card we removed it and put it into the box that laptop came in.

In your case a small USB WIFI dongle may suffice.
Bob

Collapse -
update
by leslie1125 / June 3, 2010 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: To limp along.

Thank you for your suggestion. I did purchase a USB wifi dongle and it works well....but.....while I using my laptop the "blue screen of death" showed up a few times. Unfortunately, I did not get the error information off of the screen and when I went to the Event Recorder, there were too many error messages for me to try to pinpoint exactly what happened. I ended up taking it to a store where their diagnosis so far is that 2 GB of RAM is not enough to run Windows Vista (I knew that, just not at the time I bought the laptop), and the hard drive is dying a slow, painful (for me) death.They will upgrade the RAM for $180. I researched it and it doesn't look too hard to do (?).
I'm just trying to figure out how much more $$ I should invest in this laptop. I purchased an external DVD/CD reader 6 months ago because it wasn't able to recognize that a disc was in the tray. Purchased the external wireless and am still waiting for the price from the tech store. Keys have fallen off the keyboard which I have yet to replace. A rough estimate so far is about $150, the tech store is ~ $75 = $225. They also suggest I upgrade to Windows 7, which I can do myself but how much is that?(their price for the softaware and installation is $250)
I really like the tablet but am not in a position to purchase another one, or even any laptop. I need a portable laptop for college and for work. Something with enough RAM and a faster processor (mine is not so fast though I don't remember what it is). This one was meeting my needs though I would have like a better performance.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanx!

Collapse -
"their diagnosis so far is that 2 GB of RAM is not enough to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2010 9:01 PM PDT
In reply to: update

"their diagnosis so far is that 2 GB of RAM is not enough to run Windows Vista"

I strongly disagree. One of our Vista machines arrived with 1GB RAM and it ran fine.

THIS DISCUSSION IS all about DEJA VU. I'm sharing what happened with my buddy's wifi. Bluescreens and more all revolving around the internal wifi card. In my replies above I shared the long story and how I had to give them time to process the diagnosis, cure and let them work it through.

After they did that, we removed the failed internal wifi card. It's 2 years later and the machine is still running.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?