Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error Message before Log Off

by chiccorocks / October 25, 2008 6:14 AM PDT

Hi, there's an error message that pops up on my screen right after I press the log off button as any of the 2 users on my system, and I can't read enough of it because well, I get logged off. It seems the error message doesn't come when I shut down, only when logging off. Like I mentioned, I can't completely read everything but I think I saw '.NET framework' and 'unhandled exception', also, there's a 'Details' button on the message. Is there any way I can have a good look at this error message so I can properly ask for troubleshooting help with this error? Like an error log or something?

This is a Dell studio 15 laptop running a Windows Vista Home Premium. There's not much history yet on this machine-installed Yahoo Messenger 9 (which actually didn't go well on the first try-I uninstalled that and reinstalled), installed VLC, uninstalled a Dell software (Dell Support Center-worked for 1 user but didn't for another) that went with the machine, changed some programs' settings so it won't start up with Windows, changed something about Vista's appearance, that's it. And I don't know what could be causing that error message.

Hope someone can help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error Message before Log Off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error Message before Log Off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2008 6:32 AM PDT

1. See if more detail is in the EVENT VIEWER.

2. Is Google Earth installed? Uninstall that.

Collapse -
re: Two ideas.
by chiccorocks / October 26, 2008 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Two ideas.

I've browsed through the event viewer but I can't find any error related to .NET framework. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong sections, where do I look for it in the event viewer?

I'm sure I don't have Google Earth.

Collapse -
Just a link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Two ideas.
Collapse -
Warnings and Error
by chiccorocks / October 26, 2008 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a link.

Ok, I'm not sure if I got it correctly but I found some things that are marked right about the same time I logged off and these are all under Administrative Events in the Event Viewer:

1)
Warning-Event 1530-Source: User Profile Service
On the 'General' tab:
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-612675022-425411909-899703107-1000_Classes:
Process 1032 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-612675022-425411909-899703107-1000_CLASSES

2)
Same as above, but without the '_Classes' and '_CLASSES' in the DETAIL part

3)
On one of the log offs that I did (I tried several times and marked the time), I also got the below Error in addition to the above Warnings:

Error-Event 4621-Source: EventSystem
On the 'General' tab:
The COM+ Event System could not remove the EventSystem.EventSubscription object {AA44355E-6911-4447-BA5D-6720480579AF}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The HRESULT was 80070005.

I also noticed that sometimes, the error message won't appear when I log off. I tried the Event Log Online Help link in the Event Viewer, Event 1530 doesn't show any results, and for Event 4621's link, the results don't really show definite explanations, at least for me.

Please help?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Warnings and Error

While great info, you need to know what's running at the time of shutdown. You can research what you see running and stop what you feel you don't need and keep testing till you find it.

There is no smoking gun in your posts yet. You must keep digging to find it.
Bob

Collapse -
Dell Dock?
by chiccorocks / October 27, 2008 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

While I'm still not 100% sure, I think I got it. The system came with the Dell Dock software installed, and everytime I change the settings or close the dock (through the software's option or by ending the process through the task manager) before I log off, the error message doesn't appear. Although, by merely ending the process, the error message also doesn't appear. Also, I tried the option to not run the dock at startup, and the error message didn't come when I logged off. Could this be it?

Collapse -
Good sluething.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2008 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell Dock?

I think that .exe is called Delldock.exe. Ask Dell if they have a newer, older or version that doesn't do that.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, Delldock.exe
by chiccorocks / October 27, 2008 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Good sluething.

Thanks, ok, I've also been posting in the Dell forums, I'll post back here what happens.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?