Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Error message attempting to re-install or repair windows xp

by jdp57 / November 2, 2009 12:22 AM PST

I have a Dell computer with Windows XP. My computer froze when my daughter was using ITunes. After that Windows would not start up. Safe Mode does not work.

I have the original Windows XP CD but I get a blue screen error message when I select R for repair or enter to install.

I have changed the order to boot from CD first.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error message attempting to re-install or repair windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error message attempting to re-install or repair windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That blue screen error message
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 12:26 AM PST

Tell a bit more what it says. Not that I need all of it but the numbers on the line that says Stop 0x(what?) could give up a clue.

Collapse -
Stop Message
by jdp57 / November 2, 2009 12:34 AM PST

On the top of the page: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop: 0x0000000a (0x0a270017,0x00000002,0x0000000,0x8081c63c)

Thanks

Collapse -
I agree with this article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Stop Message
Collapse -
There's nothing in the first post ...
by Kees Bakker / November 2, 2009 12:51 AM PST

telling that this happened during the install of XP.

Anyway, it seems hardware. So my advice would be to remove everything that isn't absolutely needed for a boot and try booting again. If no luck, then have the machine repaired (if the costs for that are lower than the current value of the machine).

Kees

Collapse -
Staring at goats.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 1:31 AM PST

Sorry but I'm guessing here that it was a boot from the XP CD and the repair option was chosen. I've seen XP crash with some USB devices or other than stock devices plugged in. Worth a shot.
Bob

Collapse -
Please tell more.
by Kees Bakker / November 2, 2009 12:26 AM PST

- "It would not start up". Where exactly did it stop starting?
- "I get a BSOD". There's an error number (like 0x0000005E or so) and some explanatory text on it. What?

Most likely a serious hardware problem. But that error code might tell more.

Kees

Collapse -
From the blue screen
by jdp57 / November 2, 2009 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: Please tell more.

On the top of the page: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop: 0x0000000a (0x0a270017,0x00000002,0x0000000,0x8081c63c)

Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!