Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Error message at logon

I get the following error when I restart my computer sometimes
"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfil the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the deault mail client"
How do I get rid of this message. I use Rogers Yahoo mail.
Thx
Kev

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error message at logon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error message at logon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DO You Have a E-Mail To Send.....

In reply to: Error message at logon

that you know of?? Possible you have an E-Mailing Worm on board trying to send spam at boot up??

What have you got for AV/version/updated/e-mail scanner built in? Do you use Outlook Express as you main mail handler or perhaps another like Thunderbird?

Info please! Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
Error message

In reply to: DO You Have a E-Mail To Send.....

I am using Kaspersky Anti-Virus, I use Yahoo mail as my mail and it is set to "default"

Collapse -
How About Trying An Online Scan

In reply to: Error message

for spyware/malware/worms? http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
KAV also has one, but if main AV isn't seeing anything, the same online wouldn't either. Just a 2nd opinion better safe than...nothing gets everything and Adaware (SE? or 2008?) is/was mostly concerned w/ adware.

When you say Yahoo! Mail, do you mean web based and accessed via your browser or was this something included in set up from your ISP & accessed via OE? Was KAV supplied by ISP or did you purchase/get on your own??
Yahoo, quite awhile back, changed from including free KAV to McAffe, I believe, and many users never saw the notice & for months thought their KAV was updating when in fact it wasn't!

In my case it started out as Rogers(ISP Cable) own mail server (O.E.), but then got sold out to Yahoo! mail, so now mail goes thru Yahoo (via Rogers out & in) along with the problems Yahoo is subject to. (Hint: Rogers is soon to revert back due to massive customer complaints).

It just seems like there is an un-sent mail trying to get out. Either you had one left in cue to be sent & never was OR >>something! is trying to access your mail system independent of you (TROUBLE).
If you go via O.E. then there are going to be 2 cues (waiting lines involved) one in OE Folder & likely 1 in KAV's folder. You could look via My computer>C:>Program files (KAV) or Windows>OE and delete any mail you find in either cue folder.

Normally, mail goes out OE but it then is into KAV for inspection before being forwarded to final addie. At least that's how it works w/ AVG. Since I don't have KAV, I'm speculating on this.

Have you a system restore point before this started available?
One other thought, perhaps try running a SFC in case a bad bit of script has corrupted the OE or XP paths for mail. Sometimes, things seem to get corrupted for no apparent reason....

Ideas are getting thin ...hopefully another has seen this before.
Mark is extremely knowledgeable (unlike myself) & it'll be a humdinger if it stumps him!! Good Hunting!! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.