Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

Error message after eliminating Trojans

by LadyC712 / March 16, 2014 1:34 AM PDT

I have Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 1525. I recently got rid of both CryptoLock and Sirefef using HitManPro and Malwarebytes. I've run full SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and MS Safety Scans, all say the computer is no longer infected. But I get this message every time I boot up: "RegSVR 32 The Module C:\Users\Christine\AppData\Local\Afzw...ASMsbap 215A.dll failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. This specified module could not be found." I'm not sophisticated enough about technical terms to know what this means. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The Module Was Probably Infected And Removed....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 4:11 AM PDT

...by the malware removal tools.. As such, when the registry 'call' asks to start the infected module or file, it can't be found. That's a good thing assuming it was deleted because of the infection.. It generally should not be a problem except that you want to get rid of the warning at startup. In order to do so, you'll need to search the registry for file name mentioned at the end of the string you've listed, then delete it. If you're not experienced/confident enough to perform such a search and deletion in the registry, you'll need to get some help from a friend or relative who can help you. Or, it might be possible for us to help IF you would list the EXACT and full error message.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
RegSVR32 error
by pgc3 / March 16, 2014 5:19 AM PDT

Google, RegSVR32 error Win Vista, there are fixes for this. First, look in your recycle bin to see IF you might have inadvertently deleted it...if so, simply restore from that location. Try the fix before getting into the registry, as a prior poster stated, it can be VERY tricky and risky.

Collapse -
Fix RegSvr 32 error from command prompt?
by LadyC712 / March 16, 2014 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: RegSVR32 error

Thank you both for responding so quickly. The file's not in the Recycle Bin. I have Googled RegSvr 32 error and got a page saying I should try an elevated command prompt. http://support.microsoft.com/KB/249873 I do that and get C:\Windows\system 32>. I just don't know what to type in after that. I tried the file name but got a message saying it's not recognized as an internal or external command.

I am reluctant to go into the registry, I tried that when attempting to get rid of the Sirefef, and it did seem very easy to make a catastrophic mistake. Actually, that was the full and complete error message that I included in the earlier post. Thanks so much again for your help.

Collapse -
Unfortunately, It's NOT The Exact Error Message, Plus...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 2:25 PM PDT

Unlike the article you've linked to, you don't need to register the file the error identifies, because the file is almost surely gone. Malware removal tools don't send them to the Recycle Bin. They simply delete them.. Just to make sure, you could check the location mentioned in the error: "C:\Users\Christine\AppData\Local\" There shouldn't be any file by that name at this time because it was deleted.

In addition, the file at the end of the error probably isn't called: "Afzw...ASMsbap 215A.dll".. There should be actual letters where the periods (...) are.. And since many trojans name their infected files with "random" lettering, you'll need to identify the exact name of that file, including all of the letters.

Still, I doubt that it's important since the file no longer on the machine because it was deleted by the trojan removers.. As such, to stop the error, as I suggested before you'll need to access the registry somehow and delete the "call" that asks the missing .dll file to run.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Error message changed
by LadyC712 / March 16, 2014 2:46 PM PDT

Thanks, Grif. I was searching around for solutions, and one site suggested a system scan. I performed that, and got the message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." I tried to open the Log C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and got the message "Access is denied." The scan said the possible repairs would be done when I rebooted, so I did that,and this time the message read "The module C:\Users\Christine\AppData\Local\Afzworks\crxf_xls.dll failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .dll files. The specified module could not be found."

Since the computer is working great otherwise, I'll either go into the registry and delete it, or just live with the error message.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!